Looking for a boat to restore

Jun 9, 2009
I am interested in a project boat to fill my retirement years. Does anyone know of a Challenger, Zephyr, Mistral, or Caravelle that is in much need of restoration? I've considered building a Challenger from plans, but it seems that a restoration is more sensible. Thanks.

-Dennis Dunn

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Hi Dennis, welcome. In the past there's often been a Challenger in need of restoration. There may not be one now but stick around, that could change soon. As you've considered building from scratch, you must have a good idea of what's involved.

To what extent of rebuild would you go for? Any other boats besides the Aldens you mentioned you'd be interested in? I ask because I get word of them now and then living here in Rockport Maine. Also, once talking to a friend who works at Rockport Marine, he mentioned they could actually build a boat like a Challenger from the plans. I suppose they would cold mould the hull and take it from there. They're presently trying to drum up business doing that with some old wooden boat designs that are quite popular.

Thanks for posting, we need the action here!

Jun 9, 2009
Thanks for the welcome, Tom. To answer your questions ...
What extent of a rebuild? I don't really care. If the hull and deck are in good shape, I'll just redo the interior. If the hull/deck are bad (blisters, delaminations, big hole!), that's fine. I'll just build a new hull (strip/cold-molded). One of the things that I realized when I considered building from scratch was how do I acquire/produce all the fillings that are unique to the boat (e.g., stem fittings, rudder, ballast keel, etc.)? So I guess that the minimum requirement would be that most of the key components are included.

What about other designs? Sure. I would consider any boat of a good pedigree in the 32-42 ft range. So why these particular designs? What can I say, they're just beautiful!

-Denny

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
"all of the fillings that are unique to the boat", that's an interesting attitude. That gives you a wide choice. Those parts you mention, many are expensive to replace or start from scratch. I've seen a few Challengers go by this board that were in need a very involved rebuilding but all had the hull intact. But they also had things like the bronze centerboard, remnants of the cockpit, a reasonable cabin structure to rebuild start a reconstruction. The "parts" were mostly there.

A few people in the market these days think they'll make a killing buying a great boat for little money. Some may, but often I'm hearing these hopeful buyers say, "the boat was a wreck, the photos didn't tell the whole story". Too bad, they're missing some good deals.

This soft market is a great opportunity to buy a boat be it the best of the worst one of a design on the market. But you have to know what you're doing to take advantage of the project side of the market, as you apparently are. I hope one comes along.

Apr 13, 2005
Beneteau Oceanis 50 Mediterranean
Mine might be. Sounds like you've got the initiative. Check your PMs.