Looking for a 260 in Calif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
Hello all!! I am currently a Macgreggor owner, but I am looking to move up to the next level of trailer sailers, and I am really intrugued about the 260. First of all, how is the handling of the boat. THe Mac 25 can be a little tender, and is a little light for heavy winds and swells. I guess I should mention that I primarily sail in SF Bay, so conditions can be great one minute and the next can make you cry for your mommy. I can handle the Bay in my boat, and Love it, but I am looking for some stability and a boat that I can stand up in while in the cabin.

I am looking for any comments good, bad, indifferent. If there is a better boat out there that you all can recommend, then I can entertain that as well, but I have my hopes on a Hunter 260 or 270 that I can pull behind the truck and keep in the yard rather than in a berth.

What are the best features of the 260/270's? What should I look for? What should I expect? I think the selling feature for me is the wheel/helm steering, and the selling features for the wife are the stern seats.

If anyone knows of one close to California for sale, I am willing to take a look. I don't need a motor, but if one has one, I will take it.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Gregg

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
The H260 would not be my first choice for stability in SF Bay. Find something stiffer. If you come across one available there, ask to take it out in the late afternoon when it starts to blow. You'll get the picture. Other than that, neat boats.

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 260 Sarasota,FL
A trailer boat is designed to be light enough to be practical on a trailer and even though the 260's on the upper end of the range, it's still a trailer boat. That said ANY bay on a blowing day above a real 25kts/30mph is going to put a trailer boat right to/beyond its comfortable design limits. Nobody will be in the stern rail seats nor standing up inside (unless its on one of the cabin walls). We love our 260 but respect its limits for being light weight where it's best suited for its light/moderate air ability in which it really shines.

If all you want is to make sure you'll get home safe when the wind's above 30mph in the unforeseen squall then don't worry, it'll do it. But realistically don't expect keel boat sailing performance out of anything that'll trailer very easily. You won't be sailing a 260 above 25kts with ANY grace.

On the other hand we've had some fantastic anchorages that a keel boat will NEVER see. I can get in the tinest gunk hole or back it right up to a beach and step off in the sand on a sunny day and then take it home and stock the cooler in my driveway. Also on the up side my boat lives at my house during the hottest part of our stormy, lightening prone summers and I have to admit I enjoy maintaining/improving it right where I have ALL of my tools or can work in the shade of my shop. We really love this boat for all it does well which is coastal cruising and limited open water use in a roomy, comfortable layout.

If I owned one in SF bay I'd look for the corners/coastal nooks and venture across the bay when I felt I had an absolute handle on the weather and what it'd bring. On the other hand I do that everywhere.
Good luck in your search, Mike and kelli

Apr 25, 2005
I actually have sailed my Venture 25 in some pretty bad stuff, I have been sailing the Bay since I was about 2 or 3, so I can get out of most stuff. The Mac is really light in fact I was on a scale last year with everything on it, it weighed in at a whopping 2800 lbs. I like the 680 lb keet, but it is an oder boat and I like the idea of trailering it home to work on it too. I can only think that the Hunter is going to be more comfortable than the Mac in terms of performance and livability. I also love the lines of the Hunter. Do you know more of the particulars about the 260? Like does it right itself if knocked down? How fast does it heel over before finding a compfortable 20-25 degrees? I just don't seem to find many here in the Golden Staten for sale. I looked at the Edge, but wasn't really impressed. It reminded me of the Mac 26 XM whatever. I want to sail, not motor around. I sailed the new Mac, and I didn't care for the tenderness.

Do you have any pictures of your 260? If so can you guide me to them?

Thanks,

Gregg

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 260 Sarasota,FL
Gregg,
Go to the "boat info" tab at the top of the page. The 260 is listed with reviews/pictues/mods. Can you stand up inside? If you are about 5'-8" or less then yes. There are many happy owners because of the interior layout, private head with a sink and overall volume. We moved up from a 240 which was very tender and it had a fwd bunk porta potti. Kelli rebelled after the first season and our search began. The 260 sails well, trailers really well and is capable in typical coastal conditions. Does that mean its a SF Bay boat, not really but I think it would be a nice step up from your boat if trailering is important.

Don't even get me going on the debate over what to call a sailboat with a 50hp outboard. The 260 is light years away from that whole issue. Have fun in your search.
Mike and Kelli

I was a two boat guy at one point. Here's a pic of my driveway for a few weeks while i had the 240 for sale.

Attachments

Apr 25, 2005
Mike nice looking boat(s). I hope to have a short search. It is just hard to find a good one out here on the left coast. My dad was in West Palm for about 10 years, and he said they were like flies there. Kind of like the Catalina here. A lot of them here, but I don't want one. They typically have a fixed keel, and trailoring seems scary... Too high, and launching.... Don't get me started.

Thanks for the help. I think I can handle it in SF Bay. Like I said the Mac 25 I have now handles it pretty well, and I have a ton of time at the tiller on smaller boats.

Thanks again.

Gregg

Status
Not open for further replies.