Looking at this makes me glad I got a Mac!

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
:biggrin:Check out the trailer extensions!

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
:biggrin:Check out the trailer extensions!
And to think how crabby you Mac folks get if someone says something critical (true) about your boats..... ;):poke:

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
I have a Venture 21 (similiar to a Mcgregor 21 ;-). It draws about 12" of water, keel up. I find I can launch the boat, IF, when the tow vehicle's back wheels are a couple of feet from the water's edge, the top of the 14" wheels/fenders are just under water surface. When I have had to launch in less depth, and the slope is gentle, I have disconnected the trailed pushed it out until the boat floated, For both launching and retrieving I attach the tow vehicle to the trailer with an 8' cable to retrieve the trailer or boat and trailer.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
We should get back to sailboats are better then motorboats :D
The tribalism has no limits it seems :banghead:

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
And to think how crabby you Mac folks get if someone says something critical (true) about your boats..... ;):poke:
Some times us poor boys gotta appreciate what we've got! :biggrin:
Not like I'm going to brag about the luxurious interior finishings!

Don't get me wrong I like Catalinas, but I needed a true trailer boat that's launched every trip, so easy setup-launch-retrieval-breakdown was very high on my list.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I love my H26... but I also loved the three Macs I used to own... (two V21s and a V22-2). I also owned a Coronado 23 (okay boat) and a Coronado 25 (also okay but not a trailer boat)... a Balboa 26 (difficult to launch). The pre-power boat macs are decent sailing boats that are easy to tow, easy to launch and easy to repair.

I feel like bashing a Mac is kind of like bashing fried chicken because it does not taste like steak. The Macs were made to ghunkhole and made to be inexpensive to buy and own.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
@rgranger :

I think it's hard for non trailer sailors to understand the priorities of trailer sailors, in general. For me, the design trade-offs of a trailerable sailboat, per se, are irrelevant because trailerability is an absolute requirement. I'm not choosing between trailer sailing and non trailer sailing, I'm choosing between trailer sailing and not sailing at all. So, what I'm interested in is how each trailerable design performs while maintaining a given degree of trailerability.

Last edited:

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
We should get back to sailboats are better then motorboats :D
The tribalism has no limits it seems :banghead:
Hey! What about us bipolar types whose sailboat is a motorboat (and vice versa)?;)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@rgranger :

I think it's hard for non trailer sailors to understand the priorities of trailer sailors, in general. For me, the design trade-offs of a trailerable sailboat, per se, are irrelevant because trailerability is an absolute requirement. I'm not choosing between trailer sailing and non trailer sailing, I'm choosing between trailer sailing and not sailing at all. So, what I'm interested in is how each trailerable design performs while maintaining a given degree of trailerability.
Well said

CaptVR

Nov 17, 2018
Macgregor 26X St.Petersburg, Fl.
I'm now 74, biggest boat, 65' schooner, 7' draft. Owned it 6 years, cruised all over this hemisphere, got the ribbon. Now I want to hit areas I could never take the schooner. The great thing with my Mac26X. I live in St.Pete, Florida. In a day and a half, I'm in the Chesapeake sailing my heart out, instead of 6 days of up the ditch with occasional ocean run. I hear about an antique wood boat show down in Lake Lure, Ga. In a day I'm there, sailing the lake looking at one great antique boat show. Another day's drive, I'm in New Orleans for Mardi Gras , No $200 a night room needed, great day sailing, great night partying. I'm bushed, don't want to sail 4-5 days to get home, put the boat on the trailer, I'm home in a day and a half. Tell me the down side.
I've taken my Mac to the Bahamas, Haiti and Turks. Cruised all over the inside of the Berry Islands, Bahamas. Controling depth about 4', also all over in the Exumas, could not take the "Altair" to either of those area because of the 7' draft. Now someone please tell me the down side of the Mac 26's Happy sailing all, Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret. MS St.Petersburg, Fl.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
The ease of trailerability & loading and unloading at shallow ramps is exactly why I wanted a Macgregor, I never had so many people want to talk to me at a boat ramp before I got this boat, especially at my smaller electric-only lake. My 26S looks like the Queen Mary out there. They are surprised when I pull up to the ramp either coming or going.
IMG_20200709_154714730.jpg

NINEv2

Jul 21, 2020
Catalina 250 Black Hills
I love my H26... but I also loved the three Macs I used to own... (two V21s and a V22-2). I also owned a Coronado 23 (okay boat) and a Coronado 25 (also okay but not a trailer boat)... a Balboa 26 (difficult to launch). The pre-power boat macs are decent sailing boats that are easy to tow, easy to launch and easy to repair.

I feel like bashing a Mac is kind of like bashing fried chicken because it does not taste like steak. The Macs were made to ghunkhole and made to be inexpensive to buy and own.
Ghunkhole?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Just returned Saturday from 4 glorious days on this smallish lake in S.W. Oregon. I've never seen another sailboat there. mostly due to the extremely shallow ramp. even with our Mac 25 I have to back in up until water is lapping at my running boards on a 2010 Dodge 4x4. We also had this small cove to ouselves each morning :cool:. the haters can bash all they want, but we just keep on smiling :biggrin:

117367080_2660829790826192_2883225869788885155_o.jpg

0-2.jpeg

Last edited:

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Just returned Saturday from 4 glorious days on this smallish lake in S.W. Oregon. I've never seen another sailboat there. mostly due to the extremely shallow ramp. even with our Mac 25 I have to back in up until water is lapping at my running boards on a 2010 Dodge 4x4. We also had this small cove to ouselves each morning :cool:. the haters can bash all they want, but we just keep on smiling :biggrin:

.View attachment 183651

View attachment 183652
Nice! What lake?