Looking at buying a used 30-38' Catalina

Jan 2, 2020
Catlina C30 Tampa
We are planning our retirement which includes buying a house on canal (most likely Port Charlott FL). To match that we are looking at a Catalina in the 30-38' range. Need to know more about the brand and what to look out for.

Our primary use of the boat would be casual cruising in protected waters (IE: the sail across the bay to the restaurant). Perhaps a rare short sail to another bay (like Tampa for instance).

Specifically worried about MAJOR issues like the "Catalina Smile" I have heard about. Need more information on what year model we need to stay above to avoid those types of issues.

Also need to know the major differences between the models in that size range. I know from looking at thousands of RVs that a couple of feet can make a major difference in the floorplans.

Basically trying to nail down what search criteria to use while looking for the one we will buy.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
The first thing you wish to consider is draft. The water is skinny down there especially at low tide, so you don't want a deep draft boat. The second thing to consider is how much you have to to spend. That will determine not only the size, but the age of the boat. Lots of money, then newer vessel. Then you need to consider how exactly you intend to use the boat. If you are just going to gunk hole the islands in SW Florida and never intend to take trips, say to the Dry Tortugas, then accommodations would be different than a boat that you intend to only day sail. If you expect to have people sleep on the boat, you have to get a boat with enough berths, etc. If you are going to day sail as a primary use, then how many people will be with you? Catalina's are good boats and the newer ones, in particular, have larger more comfortable cockpits for entertaining than older ones. The original Catalina 30 (late 70's) can be bought pretty cheap these days and for a 30-footer are huge inside, but the cockpits not as big as newer models of any size. So, your range of lengths makes it difficult to narrow things down for you unless you know your priorities better. And, if you don't exactly know your priorities, then you should go look at all the models and see what they offer. Yachtworld.com is a good place to start for specs and photos and prices. Also this site has boats for sale. Not sure if they have a lot of Catalina's listed or not, though, of various sizes. When you think you might narrow down what you want to spend and realize what can be bought for that amount, you can find some actual boats and try them on for size and check them out in person. Catalinas are well suited for coastal cruising, so sailing most anywhere on either coast of Florida will suit you fine. The Catalina smile you write about is where the lead keel bolts on to the fiberglass hull. Many other designs have this smile, but it doesn't necessarily mean it is problematic. These are two dissimilar materials, bolted together with a caulking material in between to seal the hull. Any boat can have issues due to use (or misuse) and so hiring a respected surveyor to go through the boat you think you want to buy makes a lot of sense. But don't just spend your money on surveyors with many boats that might interest you. Find a boat that you like and if you are happy with her condition, then write up a purchase agreement contingent upon a survey so that if something comes up, you can walk, or perhaps adjust the price to accommodate the problem, or have the seller take care of the problem. Whatever everyone is willing to agree to. I am sure Catalina owners will chime in with concerns specific to any model for you to look out for, but I have given you some general stuff to think about. I assume you know how to sail.

Jan 2, 2020
Catlina C30 Tampa
It has been a couple decades now but I spent 14 years on the Texas Gulf Coast with a 28' swing keel (primarily sailing Galveston Bay). I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous LOL. Now we are looking at retirement and will be buying a second residence in Florida (snow bird retreat).

What I do know is having a wheel with Autohelm and Roller furling is at top of my list. After that primarily room to entertain. As I mentioned above the expected primary use is day sailing in protected waters but I would not rule out an occasional short stretch in the open Gulf to reach another Bay. Basically I want a boat just new enough to avoid some of the issues I have heard about on the older boats but not so new that the price tag is insane. Yes we have money (after all we are planning to buy a house to go with the boat) but I don't want to be stupid either as sailing isn't our only interest. I was thinking something in the 1990 or newer range. It would be most helpful to know when Catalina made major design changes. The walk thru transom with swim platform sounds particularly useful, especially if your a little older and making transfers to dingy.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
You need a shallow draft Catalina 30 new enough to have a furling main, a large cockpit, and a walk through stern. A 30 because it’s plenty of boat for safe, comfortable cruising anywhere in Florida.

The only reason I would go to a larger boat is if you, or the Admiral, (your wife’s new title) don’t like the sleeping arrangements on the 30. (My Admiral loves them.)

Before buying a boat, you need to do a serious investigation of the low water depths from the bay into your dock. If there is not enough depth for your keel, you will need a different solution.

Good luck - sounds like living the dream to me!

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I would say either the 34 or 36 would be the choice. I believe the “smile” only really occurred on the 30’s. It happens cause the early 30’s had plywood under the keel bolts, as this rotted the front of the keel would lower and separate from the hull. Neither the 34 or 36 has this construction. You will occasionally see claims of a smile on these boats but usually it is a small crack caused by striking the bottom or failure to properly torque the bolts occasionally

personally I’m partial to the 36.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My wife and I love our 310, it is a great size, more modern, and a big cockpit to entertain. We are on a 5-10 plan, the 310 is probably our long term boat with a waterfront place down the road.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I live in PC and keep my H-36 5’ draft in PG and do happen to know a Cat-34 for sale and if interested I will get
contact info.
It is all about where in PC or PG is sailboat canal and some easy in out or longer trip in or out and that affects house price,some canals in PC have lower water levels and need to watch tides but important thing is 4’ draft
and 4’ draft will you enjoy your boat so much more.
Nick

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Specifically worried about MAJOR issues like the "Catalina Smile"
Not to worry too much.

It’s just the way the boat greats you when she is out of the water and you walk up to her to say Hi. Kind of reminds you that you sailed into that shallow bay without checking the charts a little too fast.

Catalina’s are good boats. The smile can be fixed with a little plastic surgery. It is the full blown grin that shows teeth. Now that’s spooky.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
@LeslieTroyer hit the Catalina Smile perfect. It affected pre1989 Catalina 30s. So not really a concern for the boats you are looking at from your previous post.

The big question I have based on your comments is do you intend to sleep on the boat often?

With Catalinas in the age and size you are looking I divide them into to two categories: centerline walk around berths or traditional berth layouts. The centerline boats are far more comfortable at anchor or in a marina for sleeping but not as comfortable on passages as the traditional berth layouts.

Centerline boats will be the 310, 350 and some of the 370 and 380. These have large rounded cockpits for entertaining and a queen bed closer to what you would have in a house. We live and cruise on a 310. We have lived on her for over 7 years and have sailed her from Maine to Grenada. We have had 8-12 people in our cockpit having cocktails and watching fireworks. Obviously we are biased towards this design. They like to sail flatter than some other models so you reef early. An inmast furler is a real nice option on these boats to give more reefing options. These tend to be setup a little easier for solo or short hand sailing with winches reachable from the helm.

The traditional layouts would be the 30, 315, 320, 34, 36 and 38. These tend to be a little less beamy than the ones I mentioned above but still beamy compared to most other manufacturers. They will have a traditional vee berth up front and a berth in the rear sometimes that goes under the cockpit. The cockpits are more T shaped with long benches from the wheel to the companionway and a bench along the stern for the helmsman. You can still entertain 6-8 people comfortably in this layout. These tend to be a little faster and setup better for some casual racing.

In general you will get a lot of space and comfort for your money with Catalinas. They are well made and can sail in relatively light winds. One of the biggest benefits is the owner group. It's pretty hard to find a project or maintainence task on a Catalina that hasn't been done before and is well documented to make it easier for you.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Jesse

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We agree with Jesse, leslie and John above but we have owned our 310 for 6 years and love that boat. I have been on the ICW not with our 310 but other boats. I would NOT have a problem sailing our boat on the ICW or Gulf of Mexico, the 310 is a wing keel and like was said sails flatter than a deep keel with the way the hull is designed, like jesse said, our Cockpit is THE place for friends to meet for drinks and an occaisional afternoon nap! The V berth with the queen size inner spring mattress is a plus!
Catalinas are well built boats, lots of parts and technical knowlege are readily Available.
We are a shoal draft keel!
Any questions let me know-We love our 310!

Jan 2, 2020
Catlina C30 Tampa
Highly unlikely we will ever sleep on the boat. At the very most, maybe an overnight. I think the faster boats would appeal more to us as I doubt we would ever entertain more than 5-6 people on the boat.

I am doing a LOT of research on the canals and depths. I won't buy a house or boat until I have run the canal myself at low tide with a good depth finder! I am really watch keel designs closely to obtain the shallowest draft boat I can get and still have fixed keel. I have owned a swing keel boat in the past and while it was a good boat for shallow bay sailing (Galveston East Bay) that allowed you to run aground with no damage and simply lift the keel to refloat the boat. However, I have been told (and it sounds logical) that you don't want to take a swing keel out in the gulf in anything over 2-3' seas. Since we may well occasionally venture out into the gulf that seems to eliminate swing keels.

Jan 2, 2020
Catlina C30 Tampa
I would say either the 34 or 36 would be the choice. I believe the “smile” only really occurred on the 30’s. It happens cause the early 30’s had plywood under the keel bolts, as this rotted the front of the keel would lower and separate from the hull. Neither the 34 or 36 has this construction. You will occasionally see claims of a smile on these boats but usually it is a small crack caused by striking the bottom or failure to properly torque the bolts occasionally

personally I’m partial to the 36.
My concern on the larger boats is the deeper keel. How deep is the shoal/wing keel on the 34 or 36 compared to the 30?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
According to Sailboatdata.com
30 - 1.6
34 - 1.7
36 - 1.8

Draft in meters rounded to nearest decimeter. ~4” deeper as you go up in size.
Les