Looking at buying a 295 - A few questions

Jan 18, 2021
Hunter 2006 31 Lavallette
Hey all,

I'm looking at buying a 1994 295 and have a few questions on things that I've noticed in pics / video walkthroughs. I personally haven't seen the boat due to logistics and the pandemic. I plan on getting a full survey but want to see if there are any deal breakers prior.

1) I see that both P & S forward fixed port lights have a vertical crack running roughly in line with the mast. Is this a common issue? or evidence of a point load / compression load and should warrant a much deeper look or worse?

- Fair to assume that rebeding the fixed windows (including the front one) is a maintenance item and not necessarily a concern? I'll use 795 + 3M DS tape and no mechanical fasteners based on my initial research.

2) Areas to look for water intrusion. I know all boats leak at some point, but where should I look for common areas of damage? I'm more familiar with Catalinas and there would be the bulkheads and mast compression post and keel sump ( silly place for plywood), On the Hunter It seems to be more FG, but want to be sure to look. The table looks like it has been wet, so I'm digging deeper.

- Vertical hatches 3 of 4 leaking appears to be gaskets and not the frame.

3) Jib winches... I see 2 sets on the cabin top which thought were the primaries based on the inboard tracks, and another set on the coamings. I don't think the boat has a spinnaker. Would these be for an outboard set of jib leads? or use with a jenny?

Any feedback welcome.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Can you please provide photos of the areas of concerns so the forum can provide a better assement of your concerns? You might want to have the boat yard, where you have it haul out for the marine survey, provide a cost for any repairs and consider a "repair allowance" from the boat owner. In regards to "all boats leak at some point" I owned many boats (two 1984 Taiwanese powerboats and three 1987, 2004 and 2006 Hunter sail boats) and the only leak was on the 2004 Hunter 386 at the mast base conduit cover into the salon, which was easily fixed bt plugging the conduit cover.

Jan 18, 2021
Hunter 2006 31 Lavallette
These are screen grabs from a video so the quality isn't the best, you can see the vertical cracks. 2 Stbd 1 port. Current owner appears to have used silicone / tape to prevent water intrusion.

I added 2 of the table, the drop leaf, last photo looks to have some runs on it. I can't imagine that is dry teak, and not caused by water leakage. The cabin sole has been redone in nu-teak for medical accessibility reasons.

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You seem have a good eye for the boat's condition!! I would definitely get a cost from a boat yard or boat repair contractor (from Craigslist and internet and referrals) to understand what your budget would be IF you bought the "as is" WITHOUT the seller agrreing to a repair allowance OR request a repair allowance. Such repairs are the result of owner's lack of maintenance. Beyond that the hull and ruddder need to be checked for moisture, look for gelcoat spider cracks and chips and look at the condition / age of sails, running rigging, standing rigging,bottom paint, zincs, engine, electrial, electonics, plumbing, interior teak, cushions, etc. Perform a water tighness test.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Boats are not supposed to leak. When they do something has broken or worn out and needs to be repaired/replaced.

Cracked ports happen but it is not normal. You are wise to look more carefully for a cause.

When leaks happen they are not because the boat is from a specific manufacturer it is because stuff happens. Boats are stressed when sailing, pulled from the water, put back in the water, beating through waves, etc. Look to the holes added to the deck and hull for possible sources of water intrusion. Caulking and sealant wears and requires repair.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Sounds like most of it is maintenance issues. But I would be most concerned about this " I see that both P & S forward fixed port lights have a vertical crack running roughly in line with the mast. Is this a common issue? or evidence of a point load / compression load and should warrant a much deeper look or worse? "

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Boat uses closed cell foam core on deck so luckily you dont have to worry about the soft spots problem that the older boats with balsa core used to inhibit
Assume this is a less than $25k boat so most likely you gonna fix yourself and you don't want to pay all the expenses of survey and hull out and even yards are sometimes charging just to price things up. so you really gonna have to go look at boat take a friend to discuss what its gonna take to put back to full update maintenance conditions. then talk him dow and walk away if your not getting it for less . But aside leaks what other maintenance issues are there how are the sails. If original that would be much more costly that a few leaks and engine if its leaking fluids also much worse than water