Looking at Bristol 29 1970

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2010
oday 27 Kingston Ontario
I started on the Oday forum as I have a 1974 Oday 27 with delam issues. Everyone pretty much said look for something else unless you can do it yourself. I saw this Bristol forsale and finally called the guy . Figure I should be looking at boats that don't need extensive work like my oday. He says that she is very sound and has brand new sails along with other stuff. Says the sails alone cost him $5000. Has new paint as well. The atomic four has been removed by him as he doesn't trust the gas engine with "an inverted carburator below deck that could fill hull with gas". Had it fitted with an outboard-custom bracket ,electric start. I told him my story about my Oday being delaminated and he says that the Bristol is "solid" fiberglass with no core in the deck. I searched the internet but I can't find that anywhere. He is selling because he is 6 foot 3 and needs more head room. Has purchased a 36 foot boat.
He sounds nice on the phone (nieve am I I know) and says that I need to be sure that this boat is fits me before purchasing any boat. I am going to see it on monday.
Without paying for a surveyor everytime does anyone have any advice when looking.

Price is $8000 Can
Says he paid $7000 for it last year and put $8000 into it.
He sounds very knowledgeable:has been sailing for 40 years and because he is local and likes to talk I figure he may be there for me later on if I need help. Also I have only taken lessons and he may like to go out with me for a sail or two...maybe.

Thanks for any help on this
Glenn

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Without making any judgment regarding the integrity of any seller, there is no such thing as a 1974 boat free of any issues. The only question is what the issues may be and unless you are in a position to identify them, the conventional wisdom still applies - get a survey. It is a false economy to save the $400 which, at a minimum, will provide you with info from which you might negotiate the price down more than that amount.

Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
Bristol 29

My bristol 24 has a balsa cored deck. I think all or most of the Bristols were made that way. However, if the deck is still solid; then there shouldn'd be any problems. Check out the chainplates and where they attach to the bulkheads, for soundness.

Sounds like a great baot, if it's as advertised.

Chuck

Mar 16, 2010
Bristol Yacht Bristol 29 Tampa Bay, FL
Re: Bristol 29

Point of fact: all Bristol Yachts were built with cored decks and cabintops, the core material was always end grain balsa. No Bristol ever had solid glass decks.

I would definitely get a survey before purchasing.

Good luck,

Nov 23, 2009
Pearson 33 Mt Vernon, MD
Say there Hover, did you end up buying that bristol? Speaking only for myself and being the new owner of a 1967 B27, It's a great boat..

Feb 11, 2010
oday 27 Kingston Ontario
Say there Hover, did you end up buying that bristol? Speaking only for myself and being the new owner of a 1967 B27, It's a great boat..

Yes the Bristol is mine. For better or for worse. Just looking for a Atomic four to replace the one the PO removed. Found one for $200 but not sure what it needs yet. Haven't seen it.
Glad to hear you are happy with yours . Really, that is all that matters.

Nov 23, 2009
Pearson 33 Mt Vernon, MD
Congrats on the bristol. From the photo you provided it looks like it's in pretty good condition. The bristol is a very well made boat with very nice sailing characteristics. Enjoy...

Nov 23, 2009
Pearson 33 Mt Vernon, MD
By the way... regarding the propulsion system. Mine does not have an inboard but rather a 9.8hp outboard mounted in the lazerette. Works just fine...

tobus

Mar 30, 2010
bristol 1970 24 ft nawiliwili
recently bought bristol 24 1970

i got my bristol 24 2 months ago its my first i am very happy with its performance its done10 miles an hour under sail 12 with outboard 5 hp engine in the lazerette as well catching some nice waves leaks a little water where deck meets hull love the boat though

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
tobus, that is great news but I have to wonder what you measured your speed with. Even using miles per hour instead of knots, that is pretty impressive for a Bristol 24 and if my calculations are correct exceed its hull speed. Chuck

Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
B24 speed

i got my bristol 24 2 months ago its my first i am very happy with its performance its done10 miles an hour under sail 12 with outboard 5 hp engine in the lazerette as well catching some nice waves leaks a little water where deck meets hull love the boat though
Congratulations on the new boat!

I think you might want to check your knot meter or GPS. I've cruised and raced my Bristol 24 for 4 years, and the fastest I've ever gone without current, was just over 7mph by GPS. The hull speed is 5.7 knots. Under certain points of sail it can exceed hull speed a little. I have an 8hp diesel, that will get the boat to hull speed, and maybe a little more on flat water. It only takes 1/2 throttle to go 5 knots, but takes full throttle to go hull speed. Under full sail, when heeled over about 20 degrees, on a broad reach, and surfing down a wave, the boat will exceed hull speed.

I think the b24 is a great little ship.

tobus

Mar 30, 2010
bristol 1970 24 ft nawiliwili
used 2 garmins

hi everybody we were all amazed ourselves i had my brand new one my friend had one from 97 garmin gps that is we are offshore of kauai 15-20 knot winds 8-11 foot waves never thought boat would go that fast either but ive been told gps is reliable

Status
Not open for further replies.