looking at a hunter 33.5 1988

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian

We had a 29 ft Aura Columbia for many years. We are now looking at a 1988 hunter 33.5. We are planning to sail itin Georgian Bay. Anyone have any useful information or insights. Thank you

P

Patrick

My H33.5

Bought mine in 2000 and love it.A very comfortable boat to cruise in, great engine, plenty of head room, very well laid out interior and plenty of storage. A little slow for racing but I do it anyhow for the fun. I have nothing bad to say about the boat.

Jan 2, 2005
Hunter 35.5 Legend Lake Travis-Austin,TX
I believe...

prior to 1990, they had a smaller engine that some felt wasn't quite stout enough. LOTS of reviews on this site under "BOAT INFO." tab, I'd sit and read all of those first. Generally speaking a great boat, from a great production run. Smaller sister to my 35.5.

Dec 3, 2003
None None Rochester, NY
Great boat

I bought my 1990 33.5 about 4 years ago in Toronto. True, it has the 2 cylinder Yanmar engine, but it is fine for the most part when used in fresh water. I say that because there are no tides to buck. She sails well and you are high and dry in this boat with its' high freeboard. If you change headsails, I wouldn't go larger than a 135. Make sure you have a good surveyor and go for it. Good sailing. Ken, s/v Water Colors Rochester, NY http://www.lakeontariosailing.com

P

Patrick

Forgot to mention

I forgot to mention that I have added a 150 genoa, an "A" sail, 4 golf cart batterys, a whisker pole, and am ungrading to a 110 amp alternator and regulator as I speak. Also did a three blade feathering prop which I highly reccomend as it does away with any vibration.

S

Steve O.

Actually it's a 333

The 1988 model year was kind of a prototype and is called a 333 in the owner's manual for that year. We have our own little 333 tab in the models and specs page. tcbro outlined the differnces between the 33.5 in an earlier post.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
I agree with Patrick...

...that the 33.5 is a great boat for the money. However, I have raced on and against them and I don't think I would characterize them as slow. Their PHRF rating runs in the mid 150's and this boat can be easily sailed well past that rating. The 333 should be slightly faster than the 33.5 based on the spec sheets.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Bugsboat

Nice lookin' main! Your pointing will improve greatly by getting rid of headstay sag. This is NOT done by tightening the headstay turnbuckle. Headstay tension comes primarily from the upper shroud tension. Put a Loos gauge on them. They should be at a minimum of 1500 lbs. The intermediates should be at about 1000 lbs. Loosen or tighten the intermediates to produce the desired luff curve. The lowers should be set at about the same as the uppers. Try these settings out. You will be amazed at the difference.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Bugsboat

I forgot to mention that you also need to carry a reasonable amount of mast rake. On the 333 this should be about 8" to 10". If there is little or no weather helm you should increase the rake for improved pointing ability. Cheers

B

Bugsboat

Center portlight

The 1988 Hunter 333 has a notorious problem with the center portlight leaking. Make sure you check this area very well. If it is leaking, fill existing screw holes with epoxy and redrill. I also increased the number os screws to hold the light to sixteen. The design of this area is the problem; trying to secure a flat piece of lexan to a concave boat deck. Also, check the water tank for leaks, the aluminum has a tendency to form pits that will leak. Hey Alan, I installed an adustable backstay that gives me lots of purchase for raking the mast. Thanks for your suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.