Looking at a Columbia 8.3. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2012
Hi. I am looking at buying a 1979 Columbia 8.3. I'll be looking at her next week. Any advice on what I should look for or open for a peak? All the information I have received indicates it is in very good shape overall.

Also planning to keep her in the water this winter and hopefully get in a few mid-winter sails in the Bay. Any advice or suggestions on how to keep the Atomic 4 available?

Mar 23, 2013
Columbia 8.3 Vancouver BC
Hi. I am looking at buying a 1979 Columbia 8.3. I'll be looking at her next week. Any advice on what I should look for or open for a peak? All the information I have received indicates it is in very good shape overall.

Also planning to keep her in the water this winter and hopefully get in a few mid-winter sails in the Bay. Any advice or suggestions on how to keep the Atomic 4 available?
I've owned an 8.3 1977 since 1980. She's been a great vessel. Lot of fun. Did you buy the boat?

Oct 25, 2013
Columbia 8.3 Vancouver
I've owned an 8.3 1977 since 1980. She's been a great vessel. Lot of fun. Did you buy the boat?
Hello Knappster,

I have had ours for 3 years and am happy with her, but could use some advise on the sail plan you have. It seems were are in the same area and is time to replace our sails.

Mar 23, 2013
Sail Plan

Hello Knappster,

I have had ours for 3 years and am happy with her, but could use some advise on the sail plan you have. It seems were are in the same area and is time to replace our sails.
Jennifer, Im glad you're happy with her. I have replaced my mainsail with a North dacron 4800 Cruise. with loose foot and full length battens. back in yr 2000. I recut a 160 Genoa that I bought originally with the boat and didn't use too much, to a 130 with Furlex. What is your plan?

Oct 25, 2013
Columbia 8.3 Vancouver
Jennifer, Im glad you're happy with her. I have replaced my mainsail with a North dacron 4800 Cruise. with loose foot and full length battens. back in yr 2000. I recut a 160 Genoa that I bought originally with the boat and didn't use too much, to a 130 with Furlex. What is your plan?
Good to hear from you, I was hoping I would be able to get another 8.3 owners opinion. Have had heard from other owners and while there info was important, I was a little worried about downsizing since our boats have smaller mains and use the foresails for power.

I too have replace my main to a loose foot 2+2 in 2012 and am now looking at the foresails. I have a 160, 110 and storm jib all hanked on. The 160 is the most used but is in poor shape and the 110 is not far behind. Going to a 130, did you lose much speed from the 160? How do you like the furler? Is it worth the expense of having one? Sorry for all the questions but is good to have another owners opinion and looks like you sail in the Vancouver area as well. Most of the suggestions I have got so far is to go to a 135 with furler which would allow furling to around 100 without too much lose of shape.

Mar 23, 2013
Good to hear from you, I was hoping I would be able to get another 8.3 owners opinion. Have had heard from other owners and while there info was important, I was a little worried about downsizing since our boats have smaller mains and use the foresails for power.

I too have replace my main to a loose foot 2+2 in 2012 and am now looking at the foresails. I have a 160, 110 and storm jib all hanked on. The 160 is the most used but is in poor shape and the 110 is not far behind. Going to a 130, did you lose much speed from the 160? How do you like the furler? Is it worth the expense of having one? Sorry for all the questions but is good to have another owners opinion and looks like you sail in the Vancouver area as well. Most of the suggestions I have got so far is to go to a 135 with furler which would allow furling to around 100 without too much lose of shape.

Looks like we took similiar tacks at the start. My boat came with a 120. I bought a storm jib and the 160 Genny. I found that the 160 was not giving me much extra speed and got a bit overwhelming when the winds were more than 10 knots. It was of course good as a downwind sail. The storm jib was little use and I have not used it a great deal. I decided to cut my 160 to serve as a furling Genny. This has allowed a great variation of sail area and most of all is much easier to handle than the hanked Gennys. No more flaking and changing of the sails. I can get near hull speed at 5 knots of wind with a minimum of heel. Im sold on the furling Genny. What I forgat to tell you is that I bought a cruising spinaker.... you can see it in my profile photo. Don't forget the ensure you get the UV coating to protect the sail from the sun when furled.

All the best< Mike

Nov 5, 2013
columbia 27 md
columbia 28.3 purchase

Hi anyone. I am the happy owner of a new to me 79 Columbia 28ft. Finally got what I wished for, a full keel,roller furling, wheel steering, and a Atomic 4 with low hours after rebuild. Wish me luck. What are the 2 happiest days in a boat owners life? Ha...

Oct 25, 2013
Columbia 8.3 Vancouver
Re: columbia 28.3 purchase

Congrats, we have had ours for 3 years now and are enjoying her.

Mar 23, 2013
Congrats Paulcolumbia2700 I've owned my Col 8.3 for 33 years and I still enjoy her. I note you refer to the model as a 79 Columbia 28ft and a Columbia 28.3, do you mean Columbia 8.3? (that is 8.3 meters). All the best.

Nov 5, 2013
columbia 27 md
You are correct sir. 28.3 meters is actually what? About 27 feet. Metrecs not being my thing. Glad you've owned one for so long. That speaks volumes to me. I'm sure you'll be a wealth of valuable knowledge for people new to the boat like miself. Paul

Mar 23, 2013
Hi, Paul.. you're correct... 8.3 meters is approximately 27 feet.. I've always been happy with my 8.3.. she's a stable cruiser and easy to handle and responsive. I note you have a wheel steering I have a tiller. Iron jib is an Atomic 4... I converted from salt water cooled to fresh water... through a heat exchanger. Still happy... If you have any questions please post on the forum. All the best regards, Mike

Nov 5, 2013
columbia 27 md
I am journing up to see the boat and check her out this morning. She's in Md. And I presently live in Ga. You know how it is, judging from pictures and reports the boat should be very nice and in wonderful condition with many lovely upgrades. But, I can only pray and will let you know how this works out. Weather she stays in Md. Or comes south in the spring, don't know yet. The rebuily Universal Atomit4 with just 40 documented hours really excites me! Wish me luck. Paul

Nov 5, 2013
columbia 27 md
Well...vgood news to report. The Columbia I bought sight unseen is definately a keeper! After shopping 3 boat yards, I picked one and they towed the boat to their facility, 2 miles away cold trip! Drained old gas, put in fresh with stabalizer, fired up the atomic 4 and hoisted her out, pressure washed the bottom, re winterized and set her up on the hard until sprin. Costly but when I live 750 miles away gotta do what you can do. Anybody recomend or have a good overall sailboat owners guide to trouble shooting problems and an old or extra Columbia manual they'd sell???

Nov 5, 2013
columbia 27 md
Found a good owners manual (or copy) at www.lulu.com of my Columbia 8.3. Well worth buying. This might be a dumb question, but I am interested in assembling a emergency spare parts list for my Universal atomic 4 engine. I can think of some, but can you or anyone give me a list of must haves to keep in my tool box just in case. Oh, I down loaded manual for moter from Moyer, all 108 pages. Thanks, Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.