Looking at a c30 this weekend

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
I am driving to Stockton Mo to view a 1983 C30 this Saturday. Anything in particular I should look for as far as trouble spots? Boat had sat unsailed in freshwater since 2015. Last haul out 2012. Owner got sick and it now sits. Other than conmon issues, water intrusion, soft decks, degraded rigging, do these boats have particular issues I should be aware of and look for?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Other than conmon issues, water intrusion, soft decks, degraded rigging, do these boats have particular issues I should be aware of and look for?
That's not enough?? :yikes:
Is Spurgeon Yachts listing it? They hauled my boat from Perry Lake KS to Cheney KS

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Is there evidence of the keel separating from the keel stub (exterior view)? Catalina used plywood in the keel stub until the late 0's. When the plywood rots, the keel bolts drop. Look for unusual depressions in the bilge around the keel bolts. This needs to be fixed.

Is the mast up? If so, look for the margins around the head door. Are there signs that the deck and column support column are dropping? If so, this could signal that the keel support (at the forward end of the bilge behind the bilge fiberglass wall) is rotting. Not a show stopper- many solutions posted on line. On my pre-sale inspection, we were able to probe the keel support block thru a small hole in the bilge fiberglass front wall revealing a completely rotted support block. This needs to be fixed.

Is there evidence of a deck compression at the mast? If water leaks under the mast support casting, the deck can soften and compress. This needs to be fixed. If mast is up the sign is that he turnbuckles are fully "used up"

Look for water intrusion signs at the side ports. This is fixable but can be a pain. Catalina did cutouts manually and the openings can be irregular leading to leaks between the exterior fiberglass and the aluminum frame - many fixes posted on line. With a boat this old, it is also possible that the rubber extrusion "U" seal between the acrylic pane and the aluminum frame may be degraded. Don't think the rubber extrusion is still available, but this too is not a show stopper.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
...........Other than conmon issues, water intrusion, soft decks, degraded rigging, do these boats have particular issues I should be aware of and look for?
Older boat so suggest a rigging, engine and electrical surveys, in addition to marine survey. Surveyor should check for moisture in the hull. You can also do an internet search on "Catalina 30 Problems" and you will find many threads on this subject like these:

Common Catalina 30 issues | Sailboat Owners Forums
Advice buying used 1983 Catalina 30 | Sailboat Owners Forums

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
RitSim got the biggies. Also look for leaky rudderposts (if it's a wheel steered C-30) The crushed mast step support is fixable, but it's a big deal. A "Catalina smile" is not always indicative of that issue, though. Lots of time it's just missing some fairing compound.

Sail inventory, running rigging, etc can all be solved with proper application of additional revenue. Example: The curved traveler that came on the early boats is worse than useless. But throw a few $ at Garhauer and all is well in the world.