Advice buying used 1983 Catalina 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Simon Capell

Hi, I am looking at moving from my existing Catalina 25 swing keel to a Catalina 30 that is for sale at my marina. Other than the brown sail covers, the boat looks good. However, I have some specific questions and then a general one as to whether there are model particulars or problems that I should check for when looking it over. a) How well does the 2-cyl Atomic diesel hold up? b) This boat has engine controls on a couple of slot in rods that go down by the left foot - how useable are they in practice when docking in tight spaces etc. c) Price $24k Appreciate any help - thanks a lot. symes@att.net

M

Mike Turner

Great Move Up

We moved up from a C25/swing keel to a 1981 C30 this past year and we've really enjoyed the bigger boat. I'm afraid I can't help with your specific questions as we don't have the Atomic 4 or engine controls you mention. A couple of other things to check: * Check for compression of the deck under the mast. Practical Sailor found 1/4" to 1/2" or so depression under most masts. The compression itself isn't bad (the factory can fax you a repair sheet if you're interested); however, check for cracks in the deck and in the headliner in the cabin, both signs of more serious problems. * Continuing with mast support, check the compression post in the cabin for any softness and particularly the wooden mast step in the bilge for any softness (this is the problem I'm now facing). * Catalina upgraded the lower shroud attachments at some point -- see if yours are upgraded to more secure "u-bolt" type fastenings. Also make sure the interior bulkheads attaching to the chainplates are securely fastened to the hull, particularly on the starboard side. * If you have wheel steering check all cables and connections for wear/corrosion. Make sure the boat comes with an emergency tiller. Good luck -- it's a great boat; lots of fun here in So. Cal. Mike Turner S/V Amity

C

Chip

C-30

I own an '85 C-30, but sail on my friends '82 a lot. The diesel will last a long time with proper care. The boat could use more power though. Just be prepaired for strong headwinds/waves, and strong currents. The engine controls are pretty easy to get used to. My friend uses his feet to shift and throttle during docking.

M

matt

one happy owner

This is my second tall rig C30, the first a 78 and now upgraded to a 81 model. Really not much difference. I have the 11hp universal and find it reliable but a little slow at times. (but this is a sailboat afterall..right?) 24000 does sound a little high but this will depend on what accessories that previous owners have added. You will not be dissapointed. Happy sailing._/) Matt

M

Michael Hagerman

Extend the Controls!

I own a 1977 Cat 30 with the same controls. A former client of mine is a master machinist and made me 2 extensions for the controls. While the short controls are better for extended crusing (they're out of the way), the extensions allow me to shift and adjust the throttle while I remain standing. What a difference when docking or mooring.

D

Dave

Great Price, Great Boat!

I have a boat almost the exact same as the one your looking at. I have a 1983, Tall Rig with the Universal 5411 (11 hp diesel). This is the little engine that could! It has never failed to start. It may be a tad bit slower in rough water, but on flat water you should be cruising at 5.3-5.5 knots and toping out close to 6 knots with a clean bottom and 2 blade prop (that's what I get). My boat is actually for sale now, and $24k sounds like a bargain. Practical Sailor did a big write-up on "what's she worth" a few months back. They were kind enough to provide detailed info on what C-30s are worth. Their graphs had asking prices and selling prices listed. The average asking price for a 1983 C-30 was about $27,500 and the average selling price was just above $25,000! So, at $24k you've got a Great Price! (I'm asking 26K for mine BTW).

J

Jeff Walker

This is good news

I will be putting my '83 30 up for sail next year and I felt $23K would be a good price. I have the 21hp fresh water cooled diesel engine, Autohelm 4000 auto pilot, wind instruments, new epoxy sealed bottom, new standing rigging, new interior cushions, built in microwave and lots of extras etc. I may have to up my price. Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.