Looking at a boat - Potential issues with this rudder mount “fix”

baw335

Jun 14, 2021
Precision 16 Spring Lake
I found an old Precision 16 for sale near me that looks pretty clean. However, I noticed that someone mounted a board where the rudder attaches, I can’t find any stock photos of a 16 that has anything like this. Do you think the original rudder mounting holes broke loose and they just did a cheap “fix?” I wasn’t sure if these had a wood core in the transom or not. Any suggestions on how to correctly fix if the rest of the boat checks out? Thanks for any help.
8021B3FE-4D98-42AE-8C29-728AF7670FFE.jpeg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It looks sorta legit. It looks like the wood is necessary to have the hardware (Spell check would let me use the right word) stand off enough from the hull to have a path to seat the rudder. Otherwise the out turning rail would be in the way. I wouldn't worry about the screws into wood.
If you're concerned about old screw holes affecting the core look for mounting screws for the wood and see if you can take it off. If it's glued on all the better. That would have been a smart way to build it.
It looks like a self draining cockpit for a 16' foot boat - nice!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Do an internet search on "Precision 16 sailboat images" and you will a number of variations like the 1985 stock model below.
1623762986471.png

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If it were mine.... I'd take the wood off and replace it with a board made of Trex... and then through bolt it.

baw335

Jun 14, 2021
Precision 16 Spring Lake
I appreciate the input from everyone! I went and looked at it and called Precision. They verified that it was legit, like you thought shemandr, and they used a piece of teak on early models until they had metal mounts made with integrated spacers made for later models. I ended up buying the boat, I’m picking it up tomorrow and will take a better look at what I want to do with it. The transom itself was in great shape. Trex is a good idea, that may be in my future. Thanks again everyone!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If it were mine.... I'd take the wood off and replace it with a board made of Trex... and then through bolt it.
I have leftover Trex from a deck/pergola project. I've been using it for all sorts of little outdoor projects. Definitely thru bolt it. Composites have no structural strength.