Looking at a 42 Center Cockpit Bavaria ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba

Apr 16, 2009
Macgregor M with the super cruser package Richland
My wife and I are looking at a Bavaria 42 CC located in Seattle it is a few years old and would like any advice as to what to check on these boats before purchase. We currently own a paid for MacGregor 26 M 2007 and we are looking at something bigger for partial live aboard and long distance crusing.

Any help is appreciated. We will be seeing the boat about September 15 so please get back with info.

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Bavaria in General

I have no direct experience with the "Ocean" series or center cockpit Bavarias. I do own a Bavaria 36 cruiser and I have seen several "Oceans" and talked to several owners at the rendezvous. They are great boats. The only problems I have heard of include: leaks from the portlights or hatches, stiff rudder bearings, leak from "stanchion flex" at the hull to deck joint, and some engine issues.
My advise is general in nature. Look over the boat carefully including in all storage areas, bilges, behind access panels, etc. Operate all systems like everything electrical, the head, pumps, etc. Do a good sea trial and operate the engine under load for a while, sail the boat on all points of sail, and if you are happy, then hire a good surveyor to go over it with a fine tooth comb. At that point you should have a good idea of what you are buying. Overall Bavarias are good boats and are capable (with modification) of going off shore, but they wouldn't be my first pick as an off shore boat. Coastal cruising is where they are very good.
Good luck and let us know what you decide,
Tom:)

bubba

Apr 16, 2009
Macgregor M with the super cruser package Richland
Re: Bavaria in General

The boat we are looking at is in Seattle WA and we are usually sailing the inland water of Pudget Sound and points north. We will be vewing the 42CC in a couple of weeks. I will get back with what I find.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I think Bavaria's generally speaking are good boats. While I have never sailed in a center cockpit Bavaria, I have sailed other center cockpit boats both smaller and larger than what you are looking at. They tend to be quite dry, they are great to fish off of as you can clean fish on the afterdeck and not get the fish guts in the cockpit where you live out of doors and the center cockpit often provides a great space for a spacious aft stateroom with dedicated head.

Status
Not open for further replies.