Looking at a 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I am about to look at an available Oday 24 which interests a friend. I understand these were well built boats. Anything of interest particular to this model which should be checked out or inspected? I am aware that any older boat may have wet deck, faded gelcoat, spider cracks, ancient wiring etc. I am looking for advise regarding problem areas on these particular boats or Odays in general.

Many thanks for your anticipated responses.

TLW

Jan 15, 2013
Oday 31 Whitehall, MI
I assume you are talking about the O'day 240 as that is the only 24 O'day built. I rebuilt the mast and boom on one of these last Summer. The cast gooseneck on these is often a problem and breaks off at various places in the casting. It should be noted that the replacement part, available from Rig-Rite is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE and an alternate repair should be considered. There was a change during the manufacturing period, so you need to know which part you are working with.

Other than the Isomat rig, this is a pretty nice boat. Full enclosed head in a 24' boat, decent galley, lines led aft, I believe, from the factory. Entry level furler standard, I believe. Sails pretty well, contemporary styling.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Are you sure it's a 24? O'Day started making the O'Day 240 in 1985. The OD 240 has the wing keel. What year is this boat?

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The boat on Craig's List is definitely a 25!
Confusion could have come from the fact that the 25 is actually 24'10" long. OK, to me I'd round that up to 25' as O'DAY did....... but??

Ad copy may not have been written by the boat owner, since it also mentions the boat having a "full-keel" with centerboard and that is not a "Full-Keel" but a Keel/Centerboard. A "FULL-KEEL" would be like on a Cape Dory or Sea Sprite, ie: the keel is almost as long as the underwater length of the boat and the rudder would be attached to the trailing edge of the keel. The O'DAY Outlaw (26') was more or less a full-keel, as was the 24' Dolphin (both built in the 1960's), but otherwise, O'DAY has never built any full-keel boats.

Anyway, the 1979 O'DAY 24 is really a 1979 O'DAY 25.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I'm glad you cleared that one up Rod. 1979 wasn't a bad year for an O'Day 25 k/c sloop. I believe that the centerboard pendant line is operable from the cockpit on that boat and that's a good thing.

Back in the 1990s, Rudy Nickerson had an O'Day sloop of this size built from one his O'Day 240 mold by Joe Deponte in Bristol. Rudy called it the "Sunrise 24". Joe builds the Lima powerboats. He also built six Sunrise 19s, and a lot of Widgeons for Rudy.
I can remember going inside the Sunrise 24 and checking it out years ago. Rudy didn't have too many O'Days built with his molds but he used better materials in his boats than the O'Day factory did. The spars had stainless extrusions, the sails were full batten.

The Sunrise 19 had struts inside the cabin to hold the chain plates. Four of the Sunrise 19s went to Japan. My friend Alden thompson bought one of them and someone else in the states bought the other one.

Sandpiper,
I would check out the areas around the side chain plates for bulges or water seepage. Also, the bulkhead for rot due to water intrusion.
The area around the mast tabernacle should be checked out for same.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Many thanks for the responses. At this time I do not know the exact length, model or year. My friend wasn't very specific, not being a sailing aficionado and his inquiry to me came via cell phone. Will post again when I know more but you have given me a good grounding from which to begin.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
As usual Joe, your "new" O'DAY knowledge is amazing! You have obviously asked Rudy some of the same questions that I have always wanted to.

I remember seeing one of those SUNRISE 19s at the New England Boat Show around 1990-91, and a pic of one sitting on a trailer (listed for sale) at what sure looked like your club on the Taunton River. I was curious about how many were built, now I know! A little further clarification for others, the SUNRISE 19 was more or less Rudy's version of the 192 LE, built after Rudy obtained the molds, but before he was able to buy the "O'DAY" name. One change that he made was substituting a CDI furler for the Schaefer wire-luff furler that O'DAY had used.
On further investigation..... that pic appears to actually be a 192 LE, as I recall that the Sunrise 19s were light grey?
I think by the time that I saw that 240 that Rudy had in stock, he had re-named it as an "O'DAY 250".

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.