Looking at a 1987 MacGregor 26D

Jun 22, 2022
MacGregor 26D Charleston SC
Hello all.....I have been studying and researching the Macgregor 26 sailboats primarily because I boat and sail in and around Charleston SC which has shifting sandbars. I also like the idea of a water ballast due to the fact I will be trailering the sailboat and appreciate the light weight during trailering. My experience with boating goes back to when I was 16 years old...now 70.... and I have had Sunfish sailboats, Hobie sailboats as well as 15 to 36 feet motor boats.

I will be looking at a 1987 26D with an asking price of $2500 with it's original trailer. I am reaching out to this group to give me ideas as what to look for....areas of the sailboat to closely look at.

Thanks in advance.
Ken

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
In addition to the usual sail, motor, trailer, etc. condition, you want to check out the ballast tanks. The valve on those tanks would wear out, which isn't the end of the world if they leak, but if they seize up you will be sad. Also the tanks themselves tend to develop leaks into the boat. They can be repaired if you are handy with fiberglass.

Jun 22, 2022
In addition to the usual sail, motor, trailer, etc. condition, you want to check out the ballast tanks. The valve on those tanks would wear out, which isn't the end of the world if they leak, but if they seize up you will be sad. Also the tanks themselves tend to develop leaks into the boat. They can be repaired if you are handy with fiberglass.
...thanks for the advice....yours is the first suggestion to look at the valve of the tanks ..will do ...I have read about the poor condition the water ballast area possibly could be....and can work with fiberglass if repairs are needed....thanks again!!

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I bought a 1995 Mac 26S, which I sold last year. There weren't any serious issues with it but here are a few things to look at, off the top of my head.
  • Regarding ballast tanks, my understanding is that the biggest risk is from water freezing in the tank. The odds of that obviously depend on where the boat has spent its life, so it's worth learning that history. But they can also be damaged (I've heard) by towing the boat without draining the ballast. It's worth getting some history on the boat and having a good look to satisfy yourself on that front.
  • Have a good look at the rudder for signs of water ingress. They can get waterlogged if there's damage to the fiberglass. I'm not familiar with the centerboard on the earlier Macs but I imagine you'll want to look for signs of waterlogging there, too. Most likely they're fine, but worth looking at.
  • My standing rigging developed rust on some of the cable eyes and fittings. So long as it's superficial you can manage it with ACF-50, Waxoyl, or a similar product, but if it's bad enough you might need to replace some parts.
  • My tiller bushings had some wear and that was another job I would have done if I'd kept the boat.
I'd also have a good look at the centerboard mechanism. My boat had the swing keel, which is completely different, so I can't advise you on any specifics.

You'll also want to have a good look at the trailer. Trailers are pretty simple and it's unlikely there's anything wrong that you can't easily fix. But you'll want to make sure that it's road worthy before hitching up to tow it home. You probably know most everything you need to know about that already so I won't tell you how to suck eggs. But make sure you check the surge brakes. You can do that by jacking up a wheel and having someone apply force to the tongue while you rotate the wheel. A six foot 2x4 makes an adequate lever to apply force to the tongue. If you can't apply enough force with that to activate the brakes then there's probably something wrong.

Jun 22, 2022
Tedd...thanks for the information....I didn't think about the possibility of the ballast tank freezing and causing damage....will ask the owner of it's past whereabouts/past locations..... in addition to looking closely at the rudder for damage and for signs of damage elsewhere....thanks again!!!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had a 26S for about 10 years . Never had any issues with the boat. Sails and motor are the expensive areas to look at

Jun 22, 2022
....thanks Justin....after realizing the differences between the D and the S models would prefer the 26S but I haven't seen a 26S for sale in the Charleston area ever....so when the 26D came onto the market close to Charleston...thought I would be take a look at it....the boat ramps are not that good around Charleston and having something like a Mac 26S or D would be helpful....

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
As a 26S owner, I can see a definite and obvious advantage to the swing centerboard over the daggerboard. I drove from Fort Worth to St. Louis to get my S, and am glad I did.
Not to say the D is not a good choice. At least you can't "ground hard" like you might with a keel boat, but it is not quite as care-free as with an S.

Jun 22, 2022
As a 26S owner, I can see a definite and obvious advantage to the swing centerboard over the daggerboard. I drove from Fort Worth to St. Louis to get my S, and am glad I did.
Not to say the D is not a good choice. At least you can't "ground hard" like you might with a keel boat, but it is not quite as care-free as with an S.
Hello Stickinthemud57
Yes I am thinking hard about purchasing the 26D versus a 26S given most of my sailing is around the Charleston SC coastal areas heavily filled with shifting sandbars. I am looking for a 26S in commuting distance to see what is available. Thanks for the info.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
They are easy to tow assuming the trailer is in good shape. You could comfortably expand your search distance if it helps locate an S

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Hello Stickinthemud57
Yes I am thinking hard about purchasing the 26D versus a 26S given most of my sailing is around the Charleston SC coastal areas heavily filled with shifting sandbars. I am looking for a 26S in commuting distance to see what is available. Thanks for the info.
Then yes, it sounds like holding out for a S is going to be your best bet. I found mine using Craigslist, but there's no "easy" way that I am aware of. You will just have to be sure you are hitting all the possibilities within your radius. There was one available not long ago in the DFW area, but it does not show any more.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I second @stickinthemud57 's comment. The D is an equally worthy a boat in every other respect, and the daggerboard may even have some advantages. But the swing keel gave me great peace of mind and I was glad I bought one, even though I had to drive a 900 mile round trip to get it.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022
I second @stickinthemud57 's comment. The D is an equallyl worthy a boat in every other respect, and the daggerboard may even have some advantages. But the swing keel gave me great peace of mind and I was glad I bought one, even though I had to drive a 900 mile round trip to get it.
Thanks Tedd.... yes I am leaning toward the 26S versus the 26D given the coastal shallows in and around the Charleston SC areas.....