Looking at 1973 41ft Columbia Pilothouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2004
- - Seattle
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some pros/cons about the Columbia 41 Pilothouse. I am looking at it for a liveaboard boat and a weekend/vacation sailing boat. What things should I be on the lookout for. I've sailed a 35 foot Coronado for the last few years so I feel pretty comfortable with how it will probably handle under sail, I'm just wondering about structural problems. thanks so much. -Mona

Jun 29, 2004
- - Seattle
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some pros/cons about the Columbia 41 Pilothouse. I am looking at it for a liveaboard boat and a weekend/vacation sailing boat. What things should I be on the lookout for. I've sailed a 35 foot Coronado for the last few years so I feel pretty comfortable with how it will probably handle under sail, I'm just wondering about structural problems. thanks so much. -Mona

R

Roland

41 Columbia

Not many 41's around. You might talk with people who own 41 Coronados as the hull is identical. We have a center cockpit 41 Coronado (we looked at a 41 Columbia but there were too many owner-related problems). One of the largest problems we've seen is deck leakage (from jib sheet traveler, stanchions, wood trim areas, etc. Main reason is lack of attention by PO's. However, these can be solved by drilling oversize holes, filling with epoxy and re-drilling to proper size and then using a good caulking compound. Takes a good wind to get us going but it is very stable and often with proper trim we can beat smaller supposedly faster boats. Very simply rigged but solid. Lots of freeboard, thick fiberglass, plenty of storage space (more available by cutting into the inner liner), heavy keel, relatively narrow beam (41-foot Morgan Out Island is 14 versus our 11' 3"). Email me at Roland693@Hotmail.com if you have additional questions. Best Regards.

R

Roland

41 Columbia

Not many 41's around. You might talk with people who own 41 Coronados as the hull is identical. We have a center cockpit 41 Coronado (we looked at a 41 Columbia but there were too many owner-related problems). One of the largest problems we've seen is deck leakage (from jib sheet traveler, stanchions, wood trim areas, etc. Main reason is lack of attention by PO's. However, these can be solved by drilling oversize holes, filling with epoxy and re-drilling to proper size and then using a good caulking compound. Takes a good wind to get us going but it is very stable and often with proper trim we can beat smaller supposedly faster boats. Very simply rigged but solid. Lots of freeboard, thick fiberglass, plenty of storage space (more available by cutting into the inner liner), heavy keel, relatively narrow beam (41-foot Morgan Out Island is 14 versus our 11' 3"). Email me at Roland693@Hotmail.com if you have additional questions. Best Regards.

D

David Miller

C41 Weaknesses

Mona: Our C41 "Last One" has soft side decks under the large windows area. The entire deck is cored with CDX plywood of differing thickness which is much stronger than balsa after it becomes wet but is still too weak to hold up to a good sea. I started removing the old core on the port side this fall and will do the starboard side next summer. This is no small task but can be done by the average owner as long as you get lots of input and take your time. This is the only real weakness that I consider a show stopper for most potential owners. The boat is very roomy with high freeboard. We don't know about performance yet because we haven't gotten to the point where the mast will be installed. After the deck repairs are made we will install the stick and give her a spin around the bay.

D

David Miller

C41 Weaknesses

Mona: Our C41 "Last One" has soft side decks under the large windows area. The entire deck is cored with CDX plywood of differing thickness which is much stronger than balsa after it becomes wet but is still too weak to hold up to a good sea. I started removing the old core on the port side this fall and will do the starboard side next summer. This is no small task but can be done by the average owner as long as you get lots of input and take your time. This is the only real weakness that I consider a show stopper for most potential owners. The boat is very roomy with high freeboard. We don't know about performance yet because we haven't gotten to the point where the mast will be installed. After the deck repairs are made we will install the stick and give her a spin around the bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.