Looked at an H260 Today

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I had a tour of an H260 today, the first time I've been able to see one up close and get on board. I have to say I'm impressed. For context, my wife and I have been sailing a Mac 26S classic for a few years, but have decided to upgrade to something roomier and more comfortable for multi-day trips. The H260 is at the top of our list.

I had looked at many photos of H260s and read the owner's manual. So, I wasn't expecting any big surprises, and I didn't get any. But seeing the boat "in the flesh" confirmed that it is much more boat than the 26S. When you're on board, it's hard to believe it's essentially the same length as the Macgregor. It is beamier, of course, which is obviously going to make a difference. But the extra windage of the Hunter really buys you a lot in interior space, too. The Mac is like a pup tent below deck, by comparison. But, even in the cockpit and above deck the Hunter is so much more boat. Our Mac is equipped pretty much as it left the factory--no lines led aft, no reefing system (just my home-made lines), hank-on head sails, no bow roller, no anchor locker. Of course, all of those things could be added to a Mac, but you'd still have the cramped quarters below.

Don't misunderstand me, we love our Mac and it has been exactly the boat we hoped it would be. But now we want more, while keeping trailerability. I think the H260 will satisfy all our requirements.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hi Tedd

I sailed a Mac 22 for many great adventures and now have a H26. I agree with all of the pros you mentioned. The one down side is the time to set it up. I could pull up to a ramp and have the 22 ready with the OB at idle in under 20 min. The H26 takes over an hour... min.

And it is a much bigger deal to tow. So if you have a slip for the summer then there is probably no down side... but if you are going to mostly trailer sail... make sure you mentally adjust expectations for the set up and take down needed to trailer the 260. I'm sure you will find it is more involved than the 26S

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Tedd, I agree with you 100%. I had a Mac 26S and loved it. For all the reasons you mentioned. I was always wanting a Hunter 26/260 and finally got one. I too wanted more boat, but didn't want to give up trailerability and water ballast.
For me the rigging part for the H26 takes about the same amount of time as the MAC26S. In fact, I have a friend with a Potter 19 and we rigged our boats side by side, working at the same pace we normally do and we were both ready to launch in about the same amount of time. True, many are much faster than I am, but I don't rush. I can rig my H26 in about an hour, not rushing.

100_4505_hq.JPG

20151121_141508.jpg

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
H26 fell in my lap only sailed a Hobie 16 before that now I own a hobie holder 14 ⛵ Chrysler Man-o-war and a jet ski my Hunter 26 is my favorite

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
If it were a few years down the road, I'd offer ours for sale. Right now though, our boys are small enough that A) we all fit and B) we can take it right to shore so they can swim in the shallows. Great boats they are indeed.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks for all the great posts and photos, guys. We're very excited about finding an H260. It's a challenge right now because they're relatively rare in Canada but the border is still closed, so it's not very practical to get one from the U.S., yet. With any luck, that'll change soon and we'll find the right deal.

For what it's worth, I put a lot of time into the rigging arrangement on our Mac 26S. I can launch it with the rigging down, raise the rigging while motoring out, and be under sail about ten minutes after leaving the dock. I'm going to post some photos and an explanation of my system, soon. I can't see any reason, in principle, that the H260 can't be made to work nearly as well, although I'm sure the larger size and weight of components will always slow things down a little, compared to the Mac.

As for towing, I've already bought a Ram 2500, which should be up to the task. I've done a lot of towing of various things over the years, so I'm not worried about that part.

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
Thanks for all the great posts and photos, guys. We're very excited about finding an H260. It's a challenge right now because they're relatively rare in Canada but the border is still closed, so it's not very practical to get one from the U.S., yet. With any luck, that'll change soon and we'll find the right deal.

For what it's worth, I put a lot of time into the rigging arrangement on our Mac 26S. I can launch it with the rigging down, raise the rigging while motoring out, and be under sail about ten minutes after leaving the dock. I'm going to post some photos and an explanation of my system, soon. I can't see any reason, in principle, that the H260 can't be made to work nearly as well, although I'm sure the larger size and weight of components will always slow things down a little, compared to the Mac.

As for towing, I've already bought a Ram 2500, which should be up to the task. I've done a lot of towing of various things over the years, so I'm not worried about that part.
Before we slipped ours, I could get ours on in about 45 minutes maybe 30 if was really moving. Agreed though, it would be difficult in my opinion to do it on the water. Plus, I liked to leave all of the "trailering" components in the truck.

A 2500 will be more that enough. Towed ours with an F150 with no issues. Granted, you knew it was back there. Never felt worried about controlling it though.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Thanks for all the great posts and photos, guys. We're very excited about finding an H260.
You might want to broaden your search to include the H26 in addition to the 260. Personally I like the stern better on the 26. I have ordered and am waiting for a new Ruddercraft complete rudder assembly to arrive. I don't think such an option is available with the 260. But if you want a wheel, then the 260 is what you want. I prefer a tiller on a boat this size.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
rudders are the same on both the hunter 26 and 260

Look under boat info/ hunter resources/ 260 and 26 for other related info. When towing any boat it is wise to go 10-20 miles pulling over to check lashings, strap, winch connection and hubs. If hubs are warm that is fine but hot, pull over and get it fixed. Always carry 1.98 inch spare bearings and racers.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
rudders are the same on both the hunter 26 and 260

Look under boat info/ hunter resources/ 260 and 26 for other related info. When towing any boat it is wise to go 10-20 miles pulling over to check lashings, strap, winch connection and hubs. If hubs are warm that is fine but hot, pull over and get it fixed. Always carry 1.98 inch spare bearings and racers.
CD, I'm referring to the rudder assembly shown here.
unifoil multiview sbo-350x350.jpg

DSCF3788-500x350.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thank you for that picture of the rudder. Can you post the info under boat information for both the 26 and 260. Many thanks
Dave

Jan 19, 2010
I put an auto tiller (auto-pilot) on my H26. I know you can do the same with a wheel but it is more costly. But as @Doug J said, if you what a wheel, you need to look at the 260

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks for all the great replies, everyone.

My wife is quite set on having a wheel, and I think it's my preference, too. (Although, I've never used one so I don't know for sure.) We like the sugar-scoop stern, too. So we're not looking at H26s.

Has anyone come up with a good way to mount solar panels without them being in the way when you lower the mast?

Jan 19, 2010
Here is what I did with solar

I leave my mast crutch up all the time. I ran the cable down through the inside of the crutch pole.
2018-05-31 11.32.16 HDR.jpg
IMG_1581.JPG

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks, @rgranger !

I was envisioning much larger solar panels, though. The H260 I looked at had a Dometic fridge and about a square meter of solar panels, which seemed like it would be a nice set up for cruising. But it's not easy to see how that large an area of solar panel could be accommodated without seriously compromising raising and lowering the mast. I'm thinking that the biggest challenge is probably the spreaders and stays, especially when rolling the mast fore and aft on the crutch.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
My panel installation is the same as @rgranger, but with an 80watt panel. I use quick release pins, so it is easily removed for trailering. Otherwise, doesn't get in the way of anything.
Hunter 26 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

I have upgraded the controller to a Victron MPPT 75 | 15 w/bluetooth. For battery monitoring I installed BMV-700 w/bluetooth.
20180429_170726 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
That's a tidy installation, @Doug J . I'm definitely going to steal a lot of your ideas.