• Annnnnnd we're back! Got questions, suggestions, or comments, Guest? Post them here!

Longer rudder

Jun 3, 2016
Catalina 18 BRANCHED OAK LAKE
If I installed a longer rudder would that help prevent my Catalina 18 from rounding up so quickly?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yes, but unless the boat design has a known tendency to round up, you would probably be best off focusing on why and under what conditions you are developing so much weather helm. Mast rake is on quick place to look. Also, most boats have built-in weather helm and will round up at some point. You might want to get a 2nd opinion on what is going on.

Jul 20, 2018
Catalina Capri 18 Everett, WA
Slacker,
Please keep us updated on your efforts. I find that my Catalina 18 rounds up too quickly as well. I have a devil of a time balancing the sails enough to head below for a quick trip to the cooler.
It is possible it is designed that way.
It is possible my mast is raked too much. I will update any changes I make as well.
Cheers,
Nate

Jun 3, 2016
Catalina 18 BRANCHED OAK LAKE
A tiller extension is a necessity but I’m hoping a sailing swami will shed some light on this . I know I need to be more aware of sail position but in the best of situations if the boom Vang is tight you almost can’t react in time to a gust of wind

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 Wabamun - on the orange ball
You should probably expect that hull to be capable of significant changes in direction on a moment's notice. Based on your second post, I'd offer that you get out and sail it a whole bunch before you start entertaining changing mechanical things. Check the rig against what the design docs suggest, mast rake and the like, and get some pictures of the setup and share them. This almost sounds like it's maybe more of an operational issue than a design one.