Long time lurker :)

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Hunter 33 - Cherubini Port Clinton, OH
After a few years of being a member, I've bought my first Hunter.

1981 Hunter 33

Attached are a few pictures I took over the past day or so.

Already removed the old name and painted over the transom.

What are the numbers in the quarter berth? It's not a hull number is it? There's a hull number stamped in the transom that starts with HUN

(These numbers are on various documents. I'm trying to make sense of them as that are named differently on the documents)

-Rick

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Yes, as Kappy says, you have purchased a Coast Guard documented vessel and that is the documentation number. The name that you removed is also part of that documentation. You will have to decide whether to stay with the original name and documentation # or apply for a state registration with a new name. I don't know how its works in USA, but where I am in Canada it is usually cheaper to stick with the CG registration and keep the old name.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
File for a documentation revision with the coast guard. Information required will be name & address of new owner, as well as old name of vessel, home port, and documentation number, manufacturer, model, length, tonnage, etc. Will have to file an official coast guard bill of sale form, that should have been signed at time of sale; not sure, but that may require a notarized seal. Likely have to file a separate form to change the name of the boat. Call the coast guard documentation center to walk you through the necessary paper work. Of course, there will be several fees to update registration & change name of vessel. The documentation number remains same, so that a paper trail is maintained for previous owners & names of vessel.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
File for a documentation revision with the coast guard. Information required will be name & address of new owner, as well as old name of vessel, home port, and documentation number, manufacturer, model, length, tonnage, etc. Will have to file an official coast guard bill of sale form, that should have been signed at time of sale; not sure, but that may require a notarized seal. Likely have to file a separate form to change the name of the boat. Call the coast guard documentation center to walk you through the necessary paper work. Of course, there will be several fees to update registration & change name of vessel. The documentation number remains same, so that a paper trail is maintained for previous owners & names of vessel.
I did this last year and it was about $100. for the two USCG forms. The third party document service wants over $400 for the same process, be aware.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If there's ever a Dunkirk in the US, you'll get called up :wink:
Mine is CG documented too. We're as land locked as you can get. Boats move

Rabe

May 15, 2019
I've got the notarized bill of sale, notarized CG certificate of documentation, and the CG application to exchange and rename. The CG number will stay the say correct?

I'm having trouble finding where to take these here in Ohio (by Cleveland). Any one know? I travel from around cleveland to port clinton where the boat is berthed.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Congratulations on the boat. She looks to have been well kept! That is a great sailing boat that you will enjoy! I have many miles on a ‘78 model (blister deck) that belonged to a friend.

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Congratulations on the boat. She looks to have been well kept! That is a great sailing boat that you will enjoy! I have many miles on a ‘78 model (blister deck) that belonged to a friend.
Thank you!

Meh for the most part she's well kept. Previous owner cut corners at every opportunity. She's pretty solid. I don't think she's going to sink :)

She's been on the hard since October 2019. I am racing to make sure it's not going to sink. lol It's hectic. Things are turning out fine so far so far but... I just wish it was easier.

For instance. The yard installed a bilge pump in April. It's an automatic pump but it's wired for manual operation. I guess that's okay. I would rather have "both" but there's only two wires from the breaker and I can't decide if I want to wire it in "only automatic mode."

Also, the engine fired right up, but I only ran it for 5-10 seconds. I didn't want to burn up the impeller.

I wanted to change the oil but the extractor pump was really struggling to siphon oil. So I'm going to wait till I get her dockside so I can warm the oil.

So there's still a lot of what ifs.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I think you'll want to do what it takes to wire the bilge pump for auto-on. Sounds like you can get away with a float switch between the panel and pump.
If you are racing, and the PO cut corners, be sure your standing rigging is sound!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.........What are the numbers in the quarter berth?.........
Congratulations on your new sailboat!!

NO. 647659 is the US Coast Guard document number. As others have said, you can either document the boat with the USCG under your name or register it in state you live in. If you document the boat, you can either submit a form to the USCG with a nominal fee OR have a marine title company submit the domentation for an additional fee.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I believe "Net 8" is the boat's registered tonnage (nothing to do with actual displacement). 8 tons sounds about right for a Cherubini Hunter 33.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I'm having trouble finding where to take these here in Ohio (by Cleveland). Any one know? I travel from around cleveland to port clinton where the boat is berthed.
Number will remain the same, mail the papers to CG doc. center, make sure you are dealing with Coast Guard, some documentation services attempt to present themselves as such. Any questions you can call the center and leave a message, they are good about calling back.
National Vessel Documentation Center

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Number will remain the same, mail the papers to CG doc. center, make sure you are dealing with Coast Guard, some documentation services attempt to present themselves as such. Any questions you can call the center and leave a message, they are good about calling back.
National Vessel Documentation Center
I've got the notarized bill of sale, notarized CG certificate of documentation, and the CG application to exchange and rename. The CG number will stay the say correct?

Need to mail (certified & return receipt) to coast guard documentation center in Falls Church, WV. I would call them before mailing to ensure you have all paperwork in order. No need to pay a documentation service, you can do this.

Last edited:

Rabe

May 15, 2019
I think you'll want to do what it takes to wire the bilge pump for auto-on. Sounds like you can get away with a float switch between the panel and pump.
I don't think that will be too hard. The pump has a float switch in it, but the "automatic wire" isn't wired to anything. I'll switch it from the "manual on wire"

If you are racing, and the PO cut corners, be sure your standing rigging is sound!
Not racing but the rigging looks sound. No rust, no meat hooks, no kinks.

He cut corners on things he did. Like using silicone sealant. He wired a charger outside of the engine compartment and ran the cord through the access hatch - rendering the hatch cover unable to be installed.

Instead of properly running/hiding wire for house speakers he just laid it under the pilot berth cushions.

When he painted, he wouldn't remove parts or properly tape off.

But, he did things like had a sailmaker repair and store the sails every year.

Last edited:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I have the same boat, but 1980. I have been repairing and upgrading her for nineteen years and I am almost finished! I hope you enjoy working on your boat because you will be busy doing that until about 2040. Meanwhile it is a good boat and sails well. Took a two week cruise in mine recently and nothing broke! As I said, almost finished!