Long term test on Jabsco head flapper valve

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
In 2007, I replaced the flapper valve with a home built part. I use a piece of roof flashing rubber to copy a new flapper and transfer the weights to it. It's been in use for 9 years. I pull it yesterday due to overhaul of the head and found it was as good as new. The joker valve and bottom flapper were both deteriated and deformed. It goes to show Jabsco used the wrong material for their parts.

Roof flashing rubber boot is where the toilet stack goes through the roof to vent. I figure it's in pretty tough environment and in direct contact with tar, it must be pretty robust.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
That is an impressive run! That part is not only a flapper, but a pump-bottom gasket of some precision and complexity, how did you cut it with any precision? Looks like it is molded or CNC cut.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
I haven't done the bottom gasket flapper. That's next. I think I can make a brass coin and rivet on top of a rubber flapper.
The coin shape thingie is just a weight to hold the flapper down.
As for as precision cut goes, I just use a thin exacto knief (scalpel blades), and hole punch.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Older model uses a brass coin with a locking washer thus removable. Newer flapper is molded in but you can use a pair of coins and screw for the same result. The bottom is the seal, the coin is the weight.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
In my opinion they lost more sales by not making a better product. The cost probably the same.
Jabsco should think about will people replace a bad product with the same bad product.

What triggered me to think about the rubber was one swallon up and curl badly?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
In my opinion they lost more sales by not making a better product. The cost probably the same.
Jabsco should think about will people replace a bad product with the same bad product.

What triggered me to think about the rubber was one swallon up and curl badly?
Yep! I was being sarcastic. Got lost in text form I guess.

Don't get me started on Husqvarna lawn mowers. :soapbox:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
All these parts last A LOT longer if you read the head instructions and take all those harsh chemicals and disinfectants back home.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
More people replace a Jabsco manual toilet with another Jabsco than with any other manual toilet. Reason: Because they don't consider anything but price. A Jabsco manual pump assembly can almost always be found somewhere for around $100...a complete toilet for around $150...a new Raritan PH SuperFlush (latest version of the PHII) is about $300. I've even known people to replace a $1000 all bronze Wilcox-Crittenden Skipper or Groco Model K that are built to last 50-100 years with a Jabsco because they can buy the Jabsco for the same price or even less than the price of a rebuild kit for the Skipper or the Groco. I also know people--including one long-time denizen of this board--who've stuck with Jabsco for decades...they just replace the pump every year as "preventive maintenance" because it's easier than rebuilding (and only costs slightly more than a "service kit") and they mistakenly believe that it's cheaper than a better quality toilet....but not if you have a buy a new one every year. And btw...Jabsco now makes everything in Mexico with parts and components sourced from China and similar sources. Raritan and Groco are the only two US toilet mfrs left who still make their toilets in the US...but that's not why their manual toilets are so much more expensive than a Jabsco... A Raritan PHII will easily provide 20+ trouble-free years with minimum maintenance--keep it lubricated and rebuild it every 5-6 years (kit costs about $60), plus the pump has a larger bore than makes it far more efficient and able to "swallow" flushes a Jabsco can't. The average life of a Groco HF (bronze compact manual, about $400) is 9-11 years. The average life of a Jabsco < 3 years. Like a lot of other things, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Ok, ok... that would be me who replaces the pump annually.... :banghead::biggrin:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
7 years on my Jabsco(s), choker valve every other year, new pump or rebuild at 5 years.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I pulled out my OEM Jabsco and installed a Raritan Sea Era Electric Flush (sea-water) toilet in 2012. I am in my 5th year of use with zero maintenance or problems. The Jabsco required pump lube several times per season and a new joker valve every two years. Plus misc parts here and there. I also find that I can flush with less water with the electric- it macerates when flushing so the solids go down faster. IMHO, good product.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Well my Jabsco head is now 14years and still going strong...only because I've to change new pump assembly every 2-3 years. I would live to switch to PHII but any modifications there frightens me.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
No...your Jabsco head is NOT 14 years old....it's only as old as the newest pump on it 'cuz the pump is the only working part.
I would live to switch to PHII but any modifications there frightens me.
Upgrading to the PH SuperFlush (latest version of the PH II)Raritan PH SuperFlush only requires removing and replacing 4 bolts and 2 hoses...even the mounting bolt pattern on the Raritan is a match for the Jabsco. You've been doing that every 2-3 years for 14 years.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Well my Jabsco head is now 14years and still going strong...only because I've to change new pump assembly every 2-3 years. I would live to switch to PHII but any modifications there frightens me.
go ahead and change to a PHII now and you will be money ahead in 4 years and only one change out (the change from jabsco to PHII)