Long shot -info on new Raymarine Quantum radar

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
looking for any rumors or experience with this new format radar. Sounds interesting but I don't want to be the 'guinea pig!.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Say it at the Boat Show in Seattle. The sales rep was all gaga over it. There is an interesting video on line.

I have my trusty analog radar paid for. The cost of the new radar is cruising money.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
I was wondering the same thing. Currently don't have a radar and was planning to get one soon. I've tried searching for any sort of user reviews and come up empty so far which surprised me considering all the RM promotional claims of better performance and clarity.

I like the idea of wireless to avoid stringing another cable up the pedestal guard but some people have expressed caution for using wireless on safety related equipment. I also like the low power draw of this unit. 17 watts compared to 60 watts for the HD Raydome that I was previously looking at is pretty impressive. The cost is about the same as the HD models so unless I hear bad things soon I will volunteer as a guinea pig. I've found RM to be pretty good about standing behind their equipment.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I understand the push to wireless, but would rather run a wire to feel better about loss of signal when needed. Not that a wire cannot short out. My new AIS is both wired and wireless. The power issue is a certain plus. The ability to have it anywhere and not radiate the family is also nice. The clarity issue was evident in the video. They were picking up a pole in the water.

Nov 18, 2013
Catalina 310 Campbell River
wireless is ok when you look at it but then you still have pull wire to power it so why not just pull 2.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
We will be going to Defender this week to help friends who are outfitting a new-to -them boat and we will be going with Quantum. The tech has been around for a bit, it's just RM is a bit late to the game. Panbo is a great resource (Ben Ellison) has reviewed other solid state offerings so you can get an idea as to how works. The pros are the low draw, instant on and much lower radiation for those who have the dome installed near the cockpit. The wifi is not something I would rely on permanently.
The big benefit is much greater detail and accuracy in close proximity to the boat . The tradeoff is less long range capability. RM says that in rain you can expect around 6 miles for a 24 mile radome. In my opinion, I would greatly prefer strong returns near the boat in lieu of long range for a sailboat.
Since my Radar is relatively new, it's not worth swapping out a perfectly good radar, but if I needed a new setup, this or another solid state unit would be a no brainer--especially since they aren't charging a premium over the current Digital units....