long range cruising on a C22

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason

I have a plan (well, at this point it's really more of a fantasy than a plan, but it will happen within two years)to sail from Anacortes to Ketchikan on a C22. (or comparable vessel, although C22 is my preference, due to its widespread use, accessiblilty to parts and upgrades, etc.) I am a fairly experienced sailor, although my background is limited to sailing with my father, first on his C22 in the late 70's early 80's, and more recently on his C36. I know how to trim sails, I am familiar with reading charts, and other basic navigational skills. In terms of sailing experience, what I lack is logging in lots of hours on a boat of my own. In addition to sailing skills, what advice can some of you give in terms of a long range cruise with issues specific to a C22? Is a certain part likely to wear out? Choice of sails? Are there specific strategies to use in heavy weather? thanks!!! -jason

J

joe "Blow"

Third time a charm

O.K. I think I've got the hang of this now. Please excuse this third time responder! I wanted to finish my comments to you, Jason. The first one didn't even post as a response, but as it's own comment, so start there. Want to sing the praises as well. The cat 22 is can be a great little distance cruiser once outfitted. The port lazarette is cavernous and, with all the other storage areas will easily hold (from experience) a month's worth of gear for two. The boat sails nice and flat for a comfortable ride. Water can be stored, for a wholesome balance, in the hold underneath the cockpit, just behind the keel cable housing. Betteries are very acessible and well placed directly under the keel winch. Great storage arrangement for these heavy items with not a hint of list. In the Pamlico sound, the swing keel is a great feature. Don't have a feel for the water characteristics of the Puget Sound, but the hull shape deals well with the short, nasty chop which can be delivered in my home waters. I have found no need to change the location of any of the lines whatsoever. Hope this helps. (sorry about the single paragraph, but my "enter" key seemed to have prematurely posted my preceeding "mess"age.-Joe

J

jkleid@excite.com

cruisin' with the 22

what can easily wear out on a lenghy cruise (not sure of your length) is YOU. Yes there are people who walk across the country, and people who row across the Atlantic, but for me there is a quality of life issue that cannot be ignored. What is your pain threshold? this is a daysailer (dressed up to look like a cruiser without the comforts- no head, no headroom, very cramped, very light, and basically very small. I guess it depends more on you than the boat- which has parts galore, but is a very sturdy boat, that if welll maintained will get you season after season of pleasure. Take all the parts to swing the keel with you, it can save time if you are not near a dealer, I suggest you get a beefer tiller (I was able to easily adopt a Catalina 25 tiller, which has a higher curve, and with heavy duty brackets (catalina direct) gives you less strain. lead all lines aft, have an outboard, and a safety line. Best of luck!! joe

D

Dick of Sylvan

Long Distance

Jason, you might also want to think about adding something like a "Tiller Tamer" to help in your steering. Or if $'s aren't a problem you can go electric autopilot. Also think of navigation and anchoring lights and all the electric requirements. Solar cells are good for charging batteries, but coastal BC and Alaska have a lot of cloud cover so you probably need alternative such as from your outboard engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.