Long Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
I am contemplating the purchase of a larger boat (aren't we all?). It's way out on Long Island in New York ( I am in Ohio). This makes me wonder the best route to tow, thru the city or would it be wiser to take a ferry boat to the mainland?

I'd rather pay a ferry fee than sit in big city traffic for hours.

Oct 13, 2007
Hunter 37.5 Plattsburgh
How large is the boat? The ferries may have limits or other restrictions. The ferries will also take you north rather than west which is your destination so you,ll lose some time there.
If you drove at night to avoid rush hour traffic seems to me you'd be ok.

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
You do not really go through the city just kind of pass next to it on 95 to the GWB to NJ

The condition of 80 in PA will be a much bigger issue :)

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
I'm not sure the ferry to CT buys you anything. You still have to get to I-80, which would be via I-95 to the GWB (the infamous Cross Bronx Expressway), or to I-287 to the Tappan Zee Bridge, which is a much longer route, but not as city-ish.

Traffic in southern CT isn't much different than NY, depending on what time of day it is. I grew up and lived there until I moved up here recently (NY, NJ, CT, and DE), and drove trailer trucks in the metro NYC area for years, and depending on when you go, it may or may not be any better taking the 'long' route thru CT, assuming you can even use the ferry (I've never taken it).

If it were me, I'd take the direct route at off times, like the weekend (non-holiday, non-beach-going) and be done with it.

Feb 4, 2005
Catalina C-30 Mattituck, NY
From LI to Ohio: I would suggest the route via Long Island Expressway (495) to Cross Island Expressway to Throggs neck Bridge to Cross Bronx Expressway to George Washington Bridge to 80 West which should take you to Ohio.

I would check with the port authority re bridge restrictions and towing. If you need to do the tunnels then that's another story but not too difficult. I see large 18-wheelers though on the bridges so you should be fine.

- Rob

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Sail west to the Hudson River north thru the NY canal system to lake Eire. Avoid all of the city driving.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I'd Stay off 80

Really Hilly and a big toll at the Delware Water Gap. Traffic on 80 is just as bad as it is through the city only the road is laid out better. My wife is from New Jersey right across the river from the city and just about a stones throw from the Medowlands. Her Sisters, in laws had a place out in the Hamptons we have made that drive many times. We would come up from Virginia when we lived there or from Ohio when we lived there. Best time from LI to NJ is early Sunday morning we'd try to be on the road before noon worst is almost anyother time.

Dragging a boat I'd take the most direct route over the George Washington Bridge to 287 going southe then west on 78 to 81 and maybe 64. Not sure where you are in Kentucky but you probably know that part better than I.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
There are two ferrys to Connecticut: one leaves from Port Jefferson and goes to Bridgeport. The other leaves from Orient Point and goes to New London. You can take a truck and trailer on either, and both leave you off right at I-95. If you are going west, Bridgeport is definitely the better choice. Stay off of 95 during any time even close to rush hour; its stop and go all the way. That being said, the Long Island Expressway is just as bad, if not worse.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Sail west to the Hudson River north thru the NY canal system to lake Eire. Avoid all of the city driving.
Or maybe just sail down the east coast and then up the Mississippi to the Ohio River...that would be a fun couple of months!

Oct 3, 2010
oday 31 noank
you will need to check with the port authority regarding restrictions on oversized loads

Status
Not open for further replies.