Logbook suggestion for my captain license

May 12, 2015
Hunter 33 Dunedin
Can anyone one make a suggestion on a decent logbook for keeping track of my sea time so when I start working on my 6 pack I am ready to go with that info? There are so many out there it seems and I can't narrow it down at all!

ALNims

Jul 31, 2014
Hunter 356 Huis Ten Bosch Marina, Sasebo, Japan
Can anyone one make a suggestion on a decent logbook for keeping track of my sea time so when I start working on my 6 pack I am ready to go with that info? There are so many out there it seems and I can't narrow it down at all!
What does the USCG say they will accept?

Nov 2, 2008
Beneteau 331 Chicago (DuSable)
Hi just got my license last year. They do not look at a logbook. That is your call to keep records. There is a painful online form you have to print out and fill out exactly as they say. Trust me I did it slightly wrong and you get rejected.

Anyway this is easier to talk about then type if you want I will be happy up give you some tips. I Angela's I did it but it is a long haul. But I did master 100ton, sailing, and towing at once.

Feel free to message me direct.
Best Regards
Capt Craig

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Sea service on private vessels is reported on a calendar- like form ( CG719S ), where you fill in the number of days in each month you were underway. Each page covers one vessels for five years and you use as many pages as you need. When I submitted my first application I had about 30 pages covering 25 years on many different boats. There is no logging requirement, and since you can look back to age 16 to accumulate the required number of days, the CG realizes that requiring logs would be an unreasonable burden. Basically, you make your best guess at the number of days spent, and if it looks reasonable, the CG will accept it. Just don't try to convince them you did 720 days in two years. Possible, but they won't buy it. You only have to prove that you owned the vessel, or have the owner sign of it was someone else.
Paid commercial time can be reported on the same form, or preferably on company letterhead signed by the Master or owner of the vessel. The CG could request to see logs as keeping a log is a legal requirement on commercial vessels, but I've never heard of them actually doing so.
I've been teaching USCG approved Master / OUPV courses for about 20 now, and I spend about two hours the first day going over the paperwork and requirements.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Hi just got my license last year. They do not look at a logbook. That is your call to keep records. There is a painful online form you have to print out and fill out exactly as they say. Trust me I did it slightly wrong and you get rejected.

Anyway this is easier to talk about then type if you want I will be happy up give you some tips. I Angela's I did it but it is a long haul. But I did master 100ton, sailing, and towing at once.

Feel free to message me direct.
Best Regards
Capt Craig
I will be following this with interest. I am retiring from LAUSD next week. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
A log book must be a hard bound book with no pages torn out to be acceptable in court or by the USCG. Any errors must be lined out, not erased or white outed. A computer record is not acceptable.
I used my log books for verification of my sea time as I had no owner signatures on the many boats I worked on around the world, prior to licensing. Even the CG didn't figure I'd fake 9+ years in 4 log books to get a license.
A log book is THE legal record of a maritime incident, IF it has been faithfully kept and filled in on a regular basis. Should one need to go before an admiralty court of inquiry, the log book can overshadow even first hand testimony, because of the fallibility of human recollection.
We use a diary type bound book, with blank pages and a nice fake leather cover. We column each page as we need them, with information suitable for the type of sailing we are doing at the time.
Whenever we are sailing, we can go back to our log book and see the time it took, the mileage we actually sailed, current, wind and sea conditions for each trip and get a pretty good idea of what the day will bring.
It is also a record of oil/filter changes, fueling, and things like what wifi connections were best in an anchorage.

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
I don't know if bookfactory.com still makes marine log books, but Im sure if you call them they can put one together for you.