Lockley Newport LN 23- Are we family?

May 19, 2021
Lockley Newport 23 Pennsburg, PA
Hey Folks,
I'm really new to the Newport family (just bought a used LN 23), and just wondering if I'm in the right place. Is the "Lockley Newport" brand a part of the "Newport" family? Seems obvious, but you know what they say about assuming. Could someone out there let me know? I have an issue with water trapped under the floor, but wanted to be sure i'm in the correct forum first, before i started asking questions.

Thank you!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Lockley Newport 23!!

It is a sailboat so you are in the right place.

1621438756847.png

May 19, 2021
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Lockley Newport 23!!

It is a sailboat so you are in the right place.

View attachment 194324Thank you Sail SFBay!.... I will pose my question... There is water trapped under the fiberglass floor of this boat. Boat is on the trailer now, and water is not draining out. water can be heard sloshing around when walking on the floor. The keel trunk comes up thru this floor, and holds the cables/blocks that raise the keel. So it would appear that this water is in the bilge, trapped between the floor above and the hull/keel trunk below.
I believe i will need to cut an opening in the floor to get access to this water to pump it out, but before i do this, I thought i would try to get any wisdom out there on this situation. is there a better way to get this water out? What is the recommended way to cut a "port" in the floor, that can be closed-up (water-tight) later?
Thanks in advance, for any help that can be shared!

Feb 21, 2013
If the water is trapped in the bilge then suggest using a wet/dry shop vacuum with a long hose to suck the water out from the deepest part of the bilge first.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021
That makes sense, but there does not appear to be any access to this space (bilge?). The fiberglass floor/side berths is all 1 piece, and runs from the bow to midway thru the cockpit. The only places to see "under" it are looking through the hatches on both side berths, and a similar wood hatch in the V-berth, but from these locations there is no access to any "well" where a suction hose could be placed to contact the water. From these locations the water is not even visible. Hence the thought of drilling a hole, or cutting a hatch in the floor to access this space...

Feb 21, 2013
Cutting an access or inspection hole does not seem to be unreasonable as you need access to the bilge.