Locked Prop vs. Freewheel vs. Boat Speed

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
What say you guys? I know what I do with my prop but I'm curious to see the varying opinions on this topic..?

Do you lock or freewheel?

If you lock is it for better speed or for less wear on the drive train.

If you freewheel is it for speed?

I started building a testing jig back in 2007 and I hope to finish it soon. Kind of forgot about it...

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I never concern my self very much with that. I am sure that free-wheeling drags a little more than locked but being three blades I can't hide it behind the keel anyway.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
If either was a good solution, they wouldn't be selling all those feathering/folding props.

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Beneteau 43 Baltimore, MD
I always lock it, depending on the boat reverse is best. I had an Autoprop and the last boat and you needed to do it to ensure the blades feathered properly. Also had a case where I was running a boat with a mechanical fuel pump. Set sail, turned off the engine while in forward and it didn't want to shut down. Had to go to neutral, make sure it was shut down, then drop it into reverse. Must have been enough force on the prop to turn it over, much like hand cranking. Strange but true.
Mike

Dec 9, 2008
1980 Hunter 30 "Denali" Seaford, VA
I usually lock it by putting it the transmission in reverse. I don't concern myself with what position the prop is in and don't know if it makes me go slower or faster, I was told that it's better to do that when I bought the boat and have always done it. When at dock I usually do too, but that's mainly to reduce the amount of water coming in through the packing and thus running my bilge pump more often and using more battery power.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Don, They are selling bottled water! why not sell folding props.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Don, They are selling bottled water! why not sell folding props.
That's it Ross - making fun of bottled water puts you on quadruple secret probation.
Props are unimportant compared with bottled water which is a crucial ingredient for my ice maker.

Oct 22, 2005
Hunter 44DS Redondo Beach, CA
I always freewheel. I used to occasionally lock the prop by putting the engine in reverse, it cost me about 1/2 knot when I did that and it was hard to get the engine out of reverse (the easiest way was to start it in reverse and put it in neutral). Last year at the Hunter Rendezvous (actually sailboat rendezvous as H&S decided to combine Jeanneau and Hunter) the Yanmar rep said Yanmar wants the engine left in neutral and that you could actually cause damage by locking the prop with the transmission.

Last edited:

Grizz

Jan 13, 2006
Hunter 28.5 Park Ridge, IL
Does this count?

We're running a folding prop (2-blade, Martec) that spins in fresh, not bottled :), water and upon shut-down, the tranny is put into reverse. If we're in light air conditions, someone crawls into the aft 1/4-berth to set the marked prop/shaft so the blades are vertical. It allows us to think we're going a bit faster...

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Beneteau 43 Baltimore, MD
Ross, I get the impression that you group feathering props in the same class as snake oil.
Mike

Jan 1, 2009
Atlantic 42 Honolulu
Do you lock or freewheel?

If you lock is it for better speed or for less wear on the drive train.

If you freewheel is it for speed?
You don't provide enough information to know if there is less drag locked or freewheeling. This can be calculated but why bother? If you have a decent knot meter you can sail with the prop spinning and then drop into reverse and see what happens... Obviously there is more wear on the tranny when freewheeling.

Most folders and feathering props need to be stopped to make sure that they fold or feather.

I've got geared folding props and I leave them in gear when I shut the engine down underway until they fold and then shift to neutral.

--Tom.

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
Freewheel for me Maine Sail

I had good discussions with the Yanmar Reps out of Largo Florida and Warren Pandy, Plant Manager of Catalina Yachts down there. They both say that it is their preferrence to let it turn and that it is better for the transmission and it offers less drag and resistance with that big old three blade than having it locked. So, I do that and I guess it is a topic that has as varied opinions as there are about anchors :eek:

This will get good I'm fairly sure. Ross, I'll have a bottle please :D

Aug 3, 2005
Morgan 33 O/I Green Cove Springs FL
Lett er spin

Just so happens in this months Boat US magazine, online version , There is less drag when the prop is free wheeling.

Fair Winds

Dave

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Not so simple those are air props not sailboat props.. Hydrodynamics and aerodynamics, while similar, are not one in the same..

huh? ..... at the subsonic speeds indeed they are VERY similar - identical in fact, the only difference is the density and viscosity of the fluid.

A spinning prop will transfer more energy to the 'vehicle' as more contact (viscous shear - skin-friction) with the fluid is realized with the net effect of more work being done in the transfer.
Even with a non-rotating three bladed prop at least part of one blade will reside in the wake of the 'deadwood'.

UD Navy tank tests have long ago answered this problem - a non-spinning prop consumes less energy.

Jan 1, 2009
Atlantic 42 Honolulu
Just so happens in this months Boat US magazine, online version , There is less drag when the prop is free wheeling.

Fair Winds

Dave
Do you mean: http://www.boatus.com/news/Tech_0109.pdf

If so, he is wrong. The answer is it depends on the prop and the speed involved. He's also incorrect about running twins on a single engine where the answer is also it depends... I've got a friend with a fuel flow meter on his voyaging twin and running both actually saves a tiny bit of fuel for him at slow cruising speed...

--Tom.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Don't freewheel it unless you have something in writing from your transmission manufacturer. Some don't circulate enough oil to the bearings unless the main gear is turning.

I saw some extensive research and calculations years ago. I remember that the conclusion was that there is a narrow speed range for any prop in which drag is slightly less when freewheeling but that drag is higher at other speeds.

It's pretty unlikely that your sailboat will be in the right speed range and you're adding a lot of wear to the stern bearing and transmission seals.