location of seatalk course computer

Apr 12, 2021
Hunter Passage 456 Honolulu
Aloha,
I'm a new owner of a 2003 hunter passage 456. The raymarine navigation system with installed at the Hunter dealership back in 2003 when the boat was originally purchased. There is a pathfinder plus RL70 as part of the system. The autopilot stopped working shortly after I got the boat- the guage is not getting 12 volts through the seatalk wires. We tried to locate the course computer to check the fuses and the output voltage but have not been able to locate it. I've look practically everywhere, but focusing midship and away from the engine compartment. Does anyone know where the dealer would have mounted the course computer back in '03? Can owners of similar boats/vintages let me know where theirs is hiding?
thanks,
John

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
What model is your autopilot? Some of the Raymarine autopilots don't have a separate course computer. The "brains" are contained in the control head of the ST4000 and earlier models.

JimP

Dec 26, 2014
Hunter 386 Barnegat Bay, NJ
In my 2003 386, the Course Computer (ACU) was behind a panel at the nav station, against the wall facing aft toward the head.

Raymarine units of that era had the ACU, a flu compass, and a rudder sensor plus the appropriate drive unit for your boat and steering.

On my 386, the flux compass is under the bed in the the aft cabin on the port side.

I just replaced the whole system with the EV-200, mounting the EV-1 on the bulkhead between the aft cabin and the rudder tube area, put the new ACU where the old one was, deleted the flux compass as redundant.

My 386 uses a rotary drive unit in the pedestal with a chain driving the wheel axle directly (Rack and pinion steering)

Rudder sensor attached to quadrant as expected.

Apr 12, 2021
What model is your autopilot? Some of the Raymarine autopilots don't have a separate course computer. The "brains" are contained in the control head of the ST4000 and earlier models.
I beleive it is the ST6001.

Apr 12, 2021
In my 2003 386, the Course Computer (ACU) was behind a panel at the nav station, against the wall facing aft toward the head.
Thanks Jim, I will look in that area again. I hope I don't end up buying a whole new system at this point.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi John, similar model boat, but a bit older. Our 1991 model has an Autohelm ST7000 course computer located beneath the nav station table connected to an ST6000 head at the helm. The fluxgate compass is located beneath the aft cabin dressing table port side. The rudder sensor is connected to the quadrant. A linear drive motor is connected to a separate rudder post tiller arm. It has been a wonderful system, strong and accurate.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Raymarine autopilots don't get their power from the seatalk bus - not enough current capacity. look for a separate power feed/fuse for the autopilot

Apr 12, 2021
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Especially thanks to JimP for prompting me to look under the aft bed again. I was mostly looking for the flux compass, but instead found the course computer I was looking for mounted on a vertical strut next to fuel tank. After replacing a blown 5 amp fuse, the autopilot gauge fired right up. Whew.