Location of 2nd Hull Identification Number (HIN) ?

Mar 7, 2012
Hunter 460 San Diego
Hello,
Does anyone know where to find the second Hull Identification Number on a Hunter 460?
I know:
"After August 1, l984, boat manufacturers were required to display two identical Hull Identification Numbers, one on the outside starboard side of the transom, within two inches of the top of the transom, gunwale, or hull-to-deck joint, whichever is lowest. ...
The second HIN must be inside the hull in an unexposed location or beneath a fitting or item of hardware.
The HIN characters, both inside and outside the hull, must be no smaller than ¼-inch high, but many manufacturers make them much larger. It is illegal for anyone to alter or remove one of these numbers without written permission of the Commandant of the Coast Guard."
I've looked from stem to stern without luck.

Thank you.
Fair winds,
Rob

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Wondering the same thing...

Hello,
Does anyone know where to find the second Hull Identification Number on a Hunter 460?
I know:
"After August 1, l984, boat manufacturers were required to display two identical Hull Identification Numbers, one on the outside starboard side of the transom, within two inches of the top of the transom, gunwale, or hull-to-deck joint, whichever is lowest. ...
The second HIN must be inside the hull in an unexposed location or beneath a fitting or item of hardware.
The HIN characters, both inside and outside the hull, must be no smaller than ¼-inch high, but many manufacturers make them much larger. It is illegal for anyone to alter or remove one of these numbers without written permission of the Commandant of the Coast Guard."
I've looked from stem to stern without luck.

Thank you.
Fair winds,
Rob
...now required in Mexico. Might be easier to simply make one up and affix it accordingly.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Has anyone EVER found one of these 2nd HIN's?

If you have please let me know where I should start looking!

Mar 7, 2012
Hunter 460 San Diego
The reason I ask is that I am in Mexico and the authorities are asking to see both numbers, apparently to help insure that the boat isn't a stolen boat. It seems like a little naïve approach but not worth the argument. I just want to point it out to them when they ask.

Aug 15, 2013
Hunter 35.5 Legend 003 San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
2nd HIN

The reason I ask is that I am in Mexico and the authorities are asking to see both numbers, apparently to help insure that the boat isn't a stolen boat. It seems like a little naïve approach but not worth the argument. I just want to point it out to them when they ask.

I agree, the heat is on in Mexico these days. I need to find mine as well. Has anyone contacted Hunter regarding this? I need to find mine as well. 1990 35.5.....

Revised posting: I just sent an email to hunter asking for the 1990 35.5, see what they say.... I'll post if I get an answer....

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2013
I agree, the heat is on in Mexico these days. I need to find mine as well. Has anyone contacted Hunter regarding this? I need to find mine as well. 1990 35.5.....

Revised posting: I just sent an email to hunter asking for the 1990 35.5, see what they say.... I'll post if I get an answer....
Hunter's response.....

Hello Steve,

Unfortunately the info is not documented.

The most common places are under the removable drive wheel cover...if provided on the boat. Under the seahood (least likely spot) and the cockpit lockers up high and aft.

Thanks,

Eddie Breeden
Marlow-Hunter, LLC
Ph - 800-771-5556
Ph - 386-462-3077
Email - aftersales@marlow-hunter.com

Mar 7, 2012
Hunter 460 San Diego
Thank you for sharing this. Even if I can't find it there, it confirms that Hunter put it somewhere. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find it.

Feb 10, 2007
Hunter Legend 40.5 Coconut Grove, FL
On the 93 h40.5 the 2nd HIN is on top of the cabin under the big panel where the running gear goes to the cockpit. To access it you must remove some of the bolts that hold the traveller and lift the big panel.

Aug 15, 2013
On the 93 h40.5 the 2nd HIN is on top of the cabin under the big panel where the running gear goes to the cockpit. To access it you must remove some of the bolts that hold the traveller and lift the big panel.
I think that is the "Seahood" they were referring to. Should be interesting to hear where people find them. Hope everyone keeps checking in as they find them.

Mar 7, 2012
Hunter 460 San Diego
Found under the Drive Wheel Cover. On a Hunter 460, that's the deck in the cockpit between the helm and the stern of the boat.

Feb 7, 2011
Hunter 410 Pacific Mexico
Inside HIN

Found under the Drive Wheel Cover. On a Hunter 460, that's the deck in the cockpit between the helm and the stern of the boat.
My inside HIN is located on the port sidewall of the well that contains the rudder post and the steering wheel tie rod. The cockpit cover must be removed to observe the inside HIN.
ATII410
Hunter 410

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Made me scratch my head

trying to remember where I saw the second number on my H356.

ATII40, made me remember seeing mine in the same place....

Nov 5, 2009
Hunter 34 Quebec
Anyone found the 2nd number on the H34 ? My 1st one has kind of disappeared when fairing the stern for painting...

Feb 4, 2015
1981 Hunter 33 Green cove Springs marina, fl
Beginning with August 1, 1984, manufacturers were also required to affix a hidden identification number to some unexposed location on the interior of a boat. Most surveyors and law enforcement officials will know where to look on specific models.

bhans

Aug 5, 2019
Hunter 430 Manitowoc
I have a 97 430 and the second HID on mine is under the "deck cover" that covers the lines. In line with the companionway.