Locating leak

Oct 12, 2015
Hunter 34 Channel Islands Harbor
I have a 1986 Hunter 34. It is taking on water and I am trying to locate the source. I have checked the stuffing box, all thru hulls, the speedo and fathometer fittings. None show any signs of leaking. My bilge pump comes on about every hour, runs for 3 seconds and discharges approx 1-2 quarts of water. Any thoughts where else to check before hauling the boat?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Any other clues? Like is it raining? Is the fresh water pump cycling? Is any pump cycling- like a wash-down pump?

Can you sprinkle talcum power in the bilge to see from what direction the water is flowing?

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
U sure your not just recycling the water? H34’s have a long discharge hose with a 40” head. Make sure your simply not pumping up only to have it flow back... I see you’ve posted about a check valve before: maybe that valve is leaking back?

• Helpful
Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
Since others have mentioned the fresh water tank or water heater, have you confirmed that it is salt water?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Start with fresh water or salt water (assuming you are in an ocean)...

That would tell you a lot...

if salt water, you are looking at all of the right things. I would close all thru-hulls, inspect all speedo, depth, etc devices installed (do you know how many and where they are?).

If fresh water, check water tanks, water heater, connections etc for leaks. Also, has it rained lately (could be rain settling in the bilge).

Greg

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Through hulls and attached hoses, and the prop strut are both possibilities.