Locating a manual bilge pump.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
K folks, I know were my pump is. It is in the cavity aft of the galley.

To pump it I have to reach down into the sail locker, insert the handle and away you go. My thought is that is a dumb place for a pump handle as you need to have the hatch open to the weather to dewater.

As it is this is the engine control panel is only the cockpit wall at roughly the same spot. This prevents me from just cutting a hole and rotating the pump.

Anyone have a suggestion? Where is you manual pump located?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Without presupposing there is some reason it was placed there, why not simply re-locate the manual pump to a more accessible location. A good diaphragm pump, e.g., Whale pump, etc... can be located almost anyplace in the discharge line. The cockpit is the most popular location for obvious reasons.

Alternatively, you might consider an electric pump if you don't want to mess with a manual one.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I already have a pretty nice electric bilge pump.

I was just wondering were a most folks with a C30 have their manual pump at?

I have used the manual and being that its a gulper of some sort it does a better job than my electric with float switch on the getting the last bit of water from the bilge.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
my 91 has the bilge pump in the port lazarette. the pump handle goes into the cockpit.