Ljungstrom Sail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Anyone here ever use a Ljungstrom sail? How did it work out for you and what boat did you use it on? Was it a main or jib?
There was a good article in second to last issue of Small Craft Advisory on a Ljungstrom jib on a WWP 19. The guy had made it out of Polytarp as a prototype and was liking how it worked out for his boat.
Looks much easier to use than a spinnaker, especially for the short or single handed sailor.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I saw the article and it interested me as well. i have some of the better quality poly tarp material (the stuff that comes with a 10year exposure guarentee) and thought someday i may tape one together like he did....just to see how it works out. he said it lasted several years for him using the cheap tarp material.
the Ljungstrom sail is historically set in place of the main, on the mast, whereas the twinsail is set on the forestay.... not much difference between the two other that their placement, although a twin sail arraignment can be set using identical headsails....

i would think the one shown in your photo could benefit from the use of a couple of whisker ploles:D

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You can also sew tarp material in a french seem, which my wife did with a boat cover for my skiff. The result is very strong. When we've taped together tarps for power equipment etc. the UV has done the tape in pretty quickly.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I read the wiki article too:).
The appeal for me is the simplicity of this large downwind sail. I'd try to fly it the author of the SCA article is flying it right, with 1 pole when off of ddw.
I'd like to use an old sim spinakker I have for this but think it would be good to make one in polytarp first. I saw the wide white polytarp at lowes but it was $100/roll, any ideas on where to get smaller peices? I was thinking maybe show up at a building site with a 12 pack of Bud...
I looked up "French Seam" and it does look very strong! Thanks Shemandr.

Mar 20, 2012
You can also sew tarp material in a french seem, which my wife did with a boat cover for my skiff. The result is very strong. When we've taped together tarps for power equipment etc. the UV has done the tape in pretty quickly.
the tarp tape that is sold specifically for the poly tarp is supposed to last for quite awhile.... i just bought some for the awning over my boat parking and patched a wear hole last month... they claim it will outlast the tarp.... we will see.

also i think about how much exposure will it see in the life of it.... if it works so well, then one made out of sailcloth would be in order, but for test purposes the tape should work.... at least long enough to put some stitches thru it....:D

Mar 20, 2012
I read the wiki article too:).
The appeal for me is the simplicity of this large downwind sail. I'd try to fly it the author of the SCA article is flying it right, with 1 pole when off of ddw.
I'd like to use an old sim spinakker I have for this but think it would be good to make one in polytarp first. I saw the wide white polytarp at lowes but it was $100/roll, any ideas on where to get smaller peices? I was thinking maybe show up at a building site with a 12 pack of Bud...
I looked up "French Seam" and it does look very strong! Thanks Shemandr.
harbor freight has white tarps also.... I think 2 smaller ones connected together would work as well as one big one.
if it could be made to overlap about 8-10 inches along the center seam, i would think it would be a good reinforcement for however you would attach it.

I was thinking as a headsail. supposedly, it can be made to self-steer a little bit to port or starboard, and hold steady on a run downwind by adjusting the sheets with the tiller lashed to center...

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I'm looking for Tyvak house wrap. I think our HF only has blue and camo tarps but I'll check as an alternative, thanks.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Matching jibs makes a more flexible down wind rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.