Living aboard in ME this winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
One of our esteemed members here is living aboard his boat this winter up in Maine. I think he may be a bit modest and has not advertised a local news/lifestyle segment that was done about him and his wife so I will post the link to the piece: http://www.wcsh6.com/video/default....01#/Boating+in+the+winter+months/752160966001

A greenhouse on a boat in the winter in Maine? Why not!
Congrats Tim!

I can't help but wonder what will happen when racing season starts and they are still living aboard. I know that Tim likes to race but when the time comes will they be sailing their home around the race courses?

My best.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Good for them!

That's the way to turn an issue into an asset! What a livable solution that cover is. I was walking around Boston harbor some years ago in February and spotted a SoCal Westsail 32 I knew from Marina del Rey. They had sailed from there for a couple of years and were wintering in Boston to replenish their cruising kitty before heading south again. They had something similar to Tim but the biggest danger they said was ice on the docks.

Gail R

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson 34 Freeport, ME
Great piece!! We were fortunate to visit Tim and Kathy the other night, and I love what they've done with the place!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Great piece!! We were fortunate to visit Tim and Kathy the other night, and I love what they've done with the place!
Gail,

Tim & Kathy were great hosts last night and it's always good the get a boat fix mid winter..! It's funny we were watching the news and all of a sudden there's Tim & Kathy...:)

BTW I love the (will probably be for sale someday)....;)

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
CalebD said:
I can't help but wonder what will happen when racing season starts and they are still living aboard. I know that Tim likes to race but when the time comes will they be sailing their home around the race courses?

My best.
Yes. We actually did an overnight race 3 days after we bought her. We hope to do more distance races but may also do some of the local races when the wind is 20+

And our cruising rule is that we can throw off the lines inside of 15 minutes so we plan to do a lot of Friday night departures this year.

Maine Sail said:
BTW I love the (will probably be for sale someday)....;)

???

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
GREAT piece ..
Tim, you and Cathy (and Christine) are the best :)
Love the FULL enclosure ... (and those of us w/ full enclosures thought we had "full enclosures"... uh, not so much).
In fact, I bet (some of the time), you're warmer inside your full enclosure in Maine, than I am inside mine ... a bit further South.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
dscribner said:
Tim,

Why did you drop your mast? Where is it?

Don
The mast had not been unstepped since the boat was new(13 years). And I wanted to do a full rigging inspection with dye. It is currently stored inside at Brewers. I will drop the mast every year as the decreased windage makes the boat much more steady. And it also makes shrink wrapping a lot easier.

Maine Sail said:
Tim,

That was meant for Gail. Check her profile info near her screen name regarding Rita P...;)
Now it makes sense. I keep telling them to just cut the cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.