Living aboard a 41 vs. 43 44 or 45.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2009
Morgan Classic 41 Clarenville, Newfoundland
4 more years till retirement. After that, goodbye cold snowy winter, hello sun!!. Our plans 4 yrs to go, than 1 year sabbatical, work a couple of more, than retire till we get tired, sick, or sick and tired.
Last year we bought our 1989 41' Morgan Classic. We love our boat, but since we have had a chance to spend 5 weeks on board this past summer, have found a few things that that I am concerned will become a big deal in time. I was wondering about other peoples opinions.
A couple of things we found; aft cabin bunk athwartship. Not a big deal for short stays, but with our aging bodies and having to get out two to three times a night to pee, I end up waking up my wife. Shower a bit on small size. I wonder will this become a bit annoying with time.
Lack of dry deck storage. Only one box on stern, and the one in cockpit being used for propane.
There is just the two of us with two small dogs.
Besides the obvious that yes more room is better, is it "that much better" to get involved in making a new boat your own, having the start the whole upgrade, repair regime with a "new to us", boat. I would appreciate anyone's opinion.
We love Morgan's and, with the recent soft market in the US, and where I am here in Newfoundland Canada, a relatively robust economy, am I better off selling the 41, and going back down next spring and picking up a 43, 44 or 45. If we were going to buy another one, we would be looking at Late 80's to mid 90's versions of Morgan's. Would appreciate any opinions or feedback.
Thank you,

Jerry Belbin

Aug 7, 2007
Morgan 44 Center Cockpit Old Lyme
Living aboard a 44

Jerry,

I too had the same concerns as you, must be an age thing! We could not envision climbing over each other most every night and so opted for the 44 center cockpit with a center-line queen in the aft cabin. The center cockpit design gives us great headroom and plenty of room for two people to dress etc without getting in each others way.
We’ve had her for two seasons, and this year spent 10 weeks in the NE islands off MA and RI as a precursor to a live-aboard / cruising starting next October, when we shall head south from CT to FL and the islands. This gave us a great opportunity to assess how comfortable she will be as a live aboard….even in a 48kt storm!

I sail with my wife, the boat performs at her best between in 10 – 20 kts of wind, even in mid 20kt winds she is not too much for us to handle as a couple (I’ve even singlehanded on several occasions). I’ve been on several 41’s and had the opportunity to compare both and although there is only two of us, we greatly appreciate the additional roominess of the 44 (especially my wife!).
Deck stowage does only have a single rear lazarett, but it’s huge and has a built-in ladder to help get to the bottom of the compartment. We’ve never run out of stowage space here. The cockpit has two stowage compartments.
Like you we looked at 41’s – 46 and ended up with the midrange option to give us a combination of a stable sailing platform, balanced with comfort to accommodate two aging adventurers!
Hope this helps and happy to discuss further,
Happy sailing,
Chris Port

Apr 5, 2009
Decisions, Decisions....

Thank you for your candour Chris,

Yes I certainly agree with the more space Idea. Now to convince the wife. Actually won't be a big issue, as I read out your comments, she was agreeing with what you had wrote.
I guess my next move it work at prettying up Chelsea Mist, and see what she will fetch.
Hopefully my thoughts on a robust economy for Newfoundland are accurate.... Most likely will be able to sell Eastern Canada, as most people are nervous with buying in US and working thru paperwork, customs, and getting it home. I hope this works for me on this opportunity.

I found my boat 1989 Morgan 41 Classic named Pamala Kay, renamed Chelsea Mist, on Yachtworld. Chelsea Mist aka P K was in Green Cove Springs FL, and I bought her in Sept 2008 and sailed her home to Newfoundland 2500miles and approx 5 weeks. I guess, I went right by you folks in Connecticut on my way home. BTW beautiful trip, beautiful people, beautiful Country! Some people here in Canada complain about American's snobbiness and big ways.... I found farthest from the truth. Almost everyone I met, from Florida to Cape Cod Canal were warm, friendly, helpful. My biggest hassle was arriving in Halifax. We arrived in Halifax port at 3am after leaving Cape Cod Canal 2 1/2 days at sea, and at 8am, 9 customs officials came down to greet me at Halifax Yacht Club with full gear on, cut gloves, combat boots, utility belts filled to the nines with stuff, you get the picture. Very intimidating..... And after they hassled us about when we plan on paying the tax, left for more donuts and coffee I guess.
Anyhow I guess that would turn some people off. Which makes it hopefully easier to sell her locally, and go back down to US and buy another one.
A couple of questions...

How did you find your boat. Is there many other options other than Yachtworld..... I wonder do brokers down in US use Yachtworld right away, or do they try locally and if she doesn't sell or is a hard to sell boat, list with yachtworld.....
Also, any particular model year I should be looking for, is one known for better construction methods or materials than another. Also I have notice that there are 44's and 45's similar model year what differences are there between the two other than obvious price, and 1 ft longer.....

I would appreciate any advise or opinions you may have.....

Thanks again,

Jerry Belbin

Jerry,

I too had the same concerns as you, must be an age thing! We could not envision climbing over each other most every night and so opted for the 44 center cockpit with a center-line queen in the aft cabin. The center cockpit design gives us great headroom and plenty of room for two people to dress etc without getting in each others way.
We’ve had her for two seasons, and this year spent 10 weeks in the NE islands off MA and RI as a precursor to a live-aboard / cruising starting next October, when we shall head south from CT to FL and the islands. This gave us a great opportunity to assess how comfortable she will be as a live aboard….even in a 48kt storm!

I sail with my wife, the boat performs at her best between in 10 – 20 kts of wind, even in mid 20kt winds she is not too much for us to handle as a couple (I’ve even singlehanded on several occasions). I’ve been on several 41’s and had the opportunity to compare both and although there is only two of us, we greatly appreciate the additional roominess of the 44 (especially my wife!).
Deck stowage does only have a single rear lazarett, but it’s huge and has a built-in ladder to help get to the bottom of the compartment. We’ve never run out of stowage space here. The cockpit has two stowage compartments.
Like you we looked at 41’s – 46 and ended up with the midrange option to give us a combination of a stable sailing platform, balanced with comfort to accommodate two aging adventurers!
Happy sailing,
Chris Port

May 18, 2010
Morgan Catalina 45 CC Kemah
Hi.
I have looked for some years now scouring the brokers add's and checking out specifications. Yes, one of my concerns was the fact that someone would have to climb over the other to get out of bed. Not a good long term arrangment so I finally decided to buy a Morgan 45CC with a queen size CL berth in the aft cabin. Lots of room and headroom. I can't wait to get out there and start our dream!
We keep our boat just outside Houston and when we make the plunge, we'll head down to Florida, the Keys, then to Cuba, then int the Carribean and if we are feeling confident, across the Atlantic and into the Mediteranean.......Need to do it soon, we're getting old!

Apr 5, 2009
Glad to see someone scouring the older post.

Hello Marty1000, thanks for your opinion. I am currently working on Chelsea Mist for another season. Since last year, I have taken early retirement and now have the chance to work on boat full time. At least till fall when I have to go find work. My wife is a teacher, and she will be finished in another week then we will head off for another 8 or 9 weeks. Our plan is still on track for 4 years time. Hope yours isn't as long of a wait. I like your idea for sailing down thru the Florida, Cuba, Caribbean route. I guess they are relaxing the embargo between US and Cuba, and hope this will be beyond everyone soon. Do you have much work to do on your boat? I am in process of changing out some older systems, like inverter, Holding tanks, and painting the hull. Good Luck to you and your future plans...... Jerry Belbin Chelsea Mist....

Apr 5, 2009
Re: Living aboard a 44

Jerry,

Happy sailing,
Chris Port
Hello Chris Port, I guess by now you are off on you big adventure. Wondering how it is working out for you. Do you still feel the same way as you discussed in previous post? Anything further that you would wish to share on this subject. Good luck, Jerry Belbin, Chelsea Mist 1989 41' Morgan Classic

Jan 6, 2009
Morgan OI 41 Jacksonville
We're onboard our Morgan OI 413 1973 ketch since 1985 and living aboard another OI from '73. I've seen many layouts for the berths in the aft cabins. We haver atwartship's potential, but the bed extends forward on the port and starboard sides as a large "U" shape. pace for two is available atwart, but over six feet of sinle also on each side. It makes for a strange option of bed covers, but allows options for sleep with heel and exiting. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

May 18, 2010
Morgan Catalina 45 CC Kemah
Had a coupl of weeks living about my Morgan 45CC a month ago. Great for living in the only problem is the amount of clothes etc my, "better half", thinks she's taking!
I think I need to pull a tender for all her junk!
Seriously, great boat and wouldn't have anythig but a CL main berth now.
Happy sailing to everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.