Liveabords/cruisers, Brownsville TX area

M

Member 131497

Any liveabords /cruisers in the Brownsville TX area? If so, can you offer any advise, share knowledge of the area on both sides of the fence?... I'm considering cruising the area soon and need some previous "scouts" knowledge. Thx

Oct 24, 2018
Helsen 22 Fond Du Lac, WI
Any liveabords /cruisers in the Brownsville TX area? If so, can you offer any advise, share knowledge of the area on both sides of the fence?... I'm considering cruising the area soon and need some previous "scouts" knowledge. Thx
I winter in Port Isabel, Across the bridge from South Padre Island, I am on the Intercoastal Waterway. It is a beautiful place winters are generally warm but we do get some cold snaps into the 30's occasionally. Only below freezing once that I can remember. Cost of living is very reasonable down there. Excellent restaurants with tons of seafood. I know a few folks at the Laguna Madre Yacht Club that live aboard and love it there. The Laguna Madre is pretty shallow in places but the Intercoastal Waterway is right there with a great channel that will take you where ever you want to go. I've been as far up as Rockport, north of Corpus Christy. Some Smaller communities do not allow live aboards. Port Mansfield is one that only allows short term stays. The people are super friendly . I do not know if I would be heading into Mexican waters near there. There is some issues in that area.

M

Member 131497

Hey Timmer117
Thx for such detailed info. Now then, when you refer to issues across the other side as in a stone throw away "Mexico" what you mean? issues as murder, drug dealing, ect?
I was contemplating the idea of Marina in that area while crossing back and forth exploring. Looking for a place in Mexico to move(safety is paramount)