little egg inlet nj

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
anyone have any experience with this inlet this year? is it navigatable on a nice day or avoid it all together?

thanks

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It is quite prone to shoaling. I haven’t been there in about 25 years, but @Scott T-Bird might have some more local ideas.

Where are you trying to go that makes Little Egg an attractive inlet to use? Atlantic City is much more accessible if you’re headed south. Barnegat Inlet gives better access to the north. The only section that’s especially accessible from Little Egg Inlet is Beach Haven and the rest of Long Beach Island, which could also be reached from via the ICW from the other inlets.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I've never gone in or out that inlet. I have only gone past it on the inside while traversing the NJICW or well outside. The NJICW is what is marked as far as I know. I think there is nothing marked going out the inlet. I've also heard that you have to be sure to follow that dogleg that you can see on the chart. There is shoaling right out in front. I think it is unmarked because the shoaling is ever changing. Google Maps gives a pretty good impression where the shoaling and the deep water is.

I'd guess that with good visibility, it could be safe to follow larger boats in and out of there. There certainly are a lot of boats going in and out from Beach Haven. This seems to be the very definition of a place where local knowledge is critical, and I don't have it. But I've also heard that depth is not an issue as long as you follow the right course (the ICW was at least 30' deep just inside the inlet IIRC). On a relatively calm and clear day, I'd suppose that the breaking waves will give you pretty good visible information. I saw "The Escape Artists" on YouTube go out through that inlet on a rough day without anybody having local knowledge. A few days later, they ran aground outside Cape May in the dark and had to be rescued by TowBoatUS and towed into the anchorage with a damaged rudder. That was an interesting episode!

In Episode 13, they started out from an anchorage right in front of our marina and travelled the ICW to Little Egg Inlet ... I think they may have avoided Barnegat Inlet by reputation only to choose the inlet that is even trickier ... but, that may be up for debate! ...
I love watching these folks!

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
we came in the little egg Saturday and are staying at beach haven we had no issues coming in, however it seems like the markers are backwards more rhan one spot green was on the right coming in, heading out tomorrow should be blowing about the same 20 25 seas a little higher but i feel comfortable with it thanks

Oct 26, 2008
we came in the little egg Saturday and are staying at beach haven we had no issues coming in, however it seems like the markers are backwards more rhan one spot green was on the right coming in, heading out tomorrow should be blowing about the same 20 25 seas a little higher but i feel comfortable with it thanks
Were there markers coming in from the ocean? I'm thinking that you were seeing NJICW markers that are marked red on right in the southbound direction. The NJICW pretty much scoots right across the entrance. How was depth?

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
I Came in on the north side in unmarked water following some fishing boats at shallowest i read 10 ft. I could see shoals off to the east there was a marked channel however in looking at the charts seemed to me that route was more perilous with breakers on either side you're right it was the inter coastal Markers that threw me a bit. I will follow the same track out tomorrow chart ploter conveniently records my routs

Oct 26, 2008
Good job! Navionics seems to indicate that channel markers at the inlet can't be shown on the chart because the shoals shift too frequently to ever rely on the chart. It seems that you were able to see a few markers that were in areas that were shoaling. You absolutely don't want to go where you see breakers! Sue and I walked the beach north of Barnegat Inlet on Saturday evening and the waves looked moderate. We had a lot of wind at anchor through the night but it died out by Sunday morning.