Literally, a Crappy Father's Day

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
Here is a story under the heading, "Thank goodness this didn't happen to me!" I knew our holding tank was pretty full, so I called the pump out boat 2 weekends ago to swing by and do a pump out. Apparently, she never came by. Fast forward to this weekend, after a very rough and windy Saturday that had the marina rocking and rolling. Apparently the tank was under so much pressure, that it caused a partial failure of the joker valve (I assume), and the holding tank backed up back into the toilet, which overflowed. I don't have the spot behind the head where the lines exit sealed up, so the overflow found its way down there and into the bilge where bits of toilet paper jammed the bilge pump. (I have a wife and two young girls, so yes, I permit a small amount of toilet paper in the head.) Luckily the mess was confined to those two places, but it wasn't what I had in mind to do on Father's Day for 3 hours.

When I got the boat to the pump out dock and removed the cap, I had a geyser about 6 inches tall blow out before I could get the pump out hose onto her. Luckily that port is angled away from the cockpit slightly, or it would have been even worse.

My lessons learned are: 1) I need a damn gauge on that tank; 2) I need to pump out every other weekend regardless of use; 3) I need to assume the pump out boat has not been by, unless I am there to actually see it.

:redface:

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you also need to unclog your vet line and maybe even go larger there would have been no pressure if the vent had been working ...the reason your joker valve failed is because of the unvented back pressure ...get that fixed and next fathers day you will not have to do that again

Dec 16, 2011
Woody - Good point about the vent line. There has been a lot of discussion on the forum recently about folks installing a larger vent line. Something to go on the "to-do" list.

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
After being race committee last weekend and not getting to the pump out, rain all day this Saturday, I was a bit nervous unscrewing the plug at the pump out Sunday. I've seen a geyser or two during our 35 years of sailing. Fortunately we were just in time. I feel for you!

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Curt, You have all my sympathy especially on Fathers Day...
I was with a friend aboard his Catalina 30 when a crew member was using the head when we were docked, and whenever he pushed down the plunger handle on the down stroke, out of his stanchion, where the vent line vents, squirted holding tank remnants onto the dock at a public marina and we had a power boat docked next to us that was on the side of the squirting! After about 4 strokes someone noticed it and yelled to stop plunging!
We laugh about that to this day as you will next Fathers Day! Alan

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
My lessons learned are: 1) I need a damn gauge on that tank; 2) I need to pump out every other weekend regardless of use; 3) I need to assume the pump out boat has not been by, unless I am there to actually see it. :redface:
Not the right lessons! The most important one: Maintain your tank vent! A blocked vent is source of all your problems.

I'd bet the pumpout boat HAD been there, but couldn't pull anything out of the tank because the vent was blocked. 'Cuz unless there's a source of air--the vent-- to replace tank contents as they're drawn out, the pump will pull a vacuum that prevents anything from being pulled out. A larger vent wouldn't have changed that, although a larger vent line and an open thru-hull instead of a "vent" thru-hull can make it easier to maintain the vent and help to eliminate odor out the vent. You're lucky that the pumpout boat's pump wasn't strong enough to implode the tank or that continuing to use the toilet didn't pressurize the tank enough to burst it.

I'm also betting that you and other members of your family were aware level that the toilet was getting harder to pump if a manual toilet, or"burping" and spitting up if electric as the system became increasingly pressurized, and may even have told you it was...but you ignored it. So every use of the toilet increasingly pressurized the system...to the extent that it had to take a LOT of effort to pump it or y'all were seeing a serious amount of reflux.

So the second less you need to learn is two-fold: 1. A toilet that's getting harder to pump (or "burping" and spitting up if it's electric) is the first sign of a blocked vent tank vent.
2. Everybody needs to start paying more attention to even the slightest changes in the way equipment--ALL the equipment--on the boat behaves...so you can catch small problems that are easy to fix before they turn into big expensive problems.

A gauge on the tank (the Profile gauges are the best Profile Tank Monitors ) is a good idea, but wouldn't have prevented your eruption. Neither would pumping out every weekend because if the vent is blocked you wouldn't be able to pump anything out.

So...do not use the toilet again until you've cleared the vent line. The most common location for holding tank vent blockage is the thru-hull...Use a screwdriver blade, ice pick or whatever works to scrape it out...if there's screen on it, cut it out...screens cause more problems than they prevent or solve. The other most common location on a sailboat is the vent line connection to the tank...both the vent fitting on the tank and that end of the hose. Scrape 'em out. I suggest you o[pen the deck pumpout cap to relieve any pressure before you remove any hoses.

This could be a good time to upgrade to a 1" vent line and an open "bulkhead" thru-hull. Easy to do...all you need are a hole saw, some hose, a threaded plug (available from any hardware store) for the existing vent fitting on the tank, and a li'l doodad called the Uniseal UNISEAL That'll give you a vent that'll be very easy to maintain...just stick the hose nozzle up against the thru-hull and back flush the line every time you wash the boat.

Oh...when you clean up the mess, you're likely to have residual odor, especially in hot weather. DO NOT USE BLEACH! Clean with detergent and water...rinse well...let the area get dry. Then spray every surface, nook and cranny that was affected with a product called PureAyre PureAyre ...just a light coating is enough...and let it dry, leaving hatches and/or lockers open so that plenty of fresh air can circulate for at least 24 hours. The stuff WORKS. You can get it from Amazon...the "household" version will work just fine.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
My lessons learned are: 1) I need a damn gauge on that tank; 2) I need to pump out every other weekend regardless of use; 3) I need to assume the pump out boat has not been by, unless I am there to actually see it. :redface:
Not the right lessons! The most important one: Maintain your tank vent! A blocked vent is source of all your problems.

I'd bet the pumpout boat HAD been there, but couldn't pull anything out of the tank because the vent was blocked. 'Cuz unless there's a source of air--the vent-- to replace tank contents as they're drawn out, the pump will pull a vacuum that prevents anything from being pulled out. A larger vent wouldn't have changed that, although a larger vent line and an open thru-hull instead of a "vent" thru-hull can make it easier to maintain the vent and help to eliminate odor out the vent. You're lucky that the pumpout boat's pump wasn't strong enough to implode the tank or that continuing to use the toilet didn't pressurize the tank enough to burst it.

I'm also betting that you and other members of your family were aware level that the toilet was getting harder to pump if a manual toilet, or"burping" and spitting up if electric as the system became increasingly pressurized, and may even have told you it was...but you ignored it. So every use of the toilet increasingly pressurized the system...to the extent that it had to take a LOT of effort to pump it or y'all were seeing a serious amount of reflux.

So the second less you need to learn is two-fold: 1. A toilet that's getting harder to pump (or "burping" and spitting up if it's electric) is the first sign of a blocked vent tank vent.
2. Everybody needs to start paying more attention to even the slightest changes in the way equipment--ALL the equipment--on the boat behaves...so you can catch small problems that are easy to fix before they turn into big expensive problems.

A gauge on the tank (the Profile gauges are the best Profile Tank Monitors ) is a good idea, but wouldn't have prevented your eruption. Neither would pumping out every weekend because if the vent is blocked you wouldn't be able to pump anything out.

So...do not use the toilet again until you've cleared the vent line. The most common location for holding tank vent blockage is the thru-hull...Use a screwdriver blade, ice pick or whatever works to scrape it out...if there's screen on it, cut it out...screens cause more problems than they prevent or solve. The other most common location on a sailboat is the vent line connection to the tank...both the vent fitting on the tank and that end of the hose. Scrape 'em out. I suggest you o[pen the deck pumpout cap to relieve any pressure before you remove any hoses.

This could be a good time to upgrade to a 1" vent line and an open "bulkhead" thru-hull. Easy to do...all you need are a hole saw, some hose, a threaded plug (available from any hardware store) for the existing vent fitting on the tank, and a li'l doodad called the Uniseal UNISEAL That'll give you a vent that'll be very easy to maintain...just stick the hose nozzle up against the thru-hull and back flush the line every time you wash the boat.

Oh...when you clean up the mess, you're likely to have residual odor, especially in hot weather. DO NOT USE BLEACH! Clean with detergent and water...rinse well...let the area get dry. Then spray every surface, nook and cranny that was affected with a product called PureAyre PureAyre ...just a light coating is enough...and let it dry, leaving hatches and/or lockers open so that plenty of fresh air can circulate for at least 24 hours. The stuff WORKS. The online store right here sells it: http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?11608/

If you need more help, send me an EMAIL and we'll work out a good time to talk instead of all this d'd typing!

Dec 16, 2011
I'd bet the pumpout boat HAD been there, but couldn't pull anything out of the tank because the vent was blocked.
Unfortunately, the pump out boat has provided notoriously bad service to our marina this season, as every member of my club I've spoken with has indicated that they have called and hailed but no no avail. Even the fuel dock guys, who have no incentive for me to come over there to pump out, were talking about how bad it has gotten.

I will check the vent line the next time I'm aboard.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Whether the pumpout boat is unreliable or not, there's only ONE thing that could have caused your tank to back up into the toilet and a geyser when you opened the deck pumpout cap: a blocked holding tank vent.

And btw, your toilet needs a new joker valve too.