List to Port

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
I have a 1987 TRBS with a slight (?) list to port of 2-3 degrees. Enought that the coaming pocket on the port side doesn't drain. Batteries are on starboard. Water on starboard. A few tools on port but removing them doesn't change anything. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

-gf-

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 30 TR 3571 Cocoa, FL
I have the same problem with a 1984 Cat 30 TRBS with the starboard water tank full and holding tank (port side) empty. Besides the standard build, a past owner installed a pair of golf cart batteries for refrigeration under the where the stove went on port side with a group 27 marine battery midships under the quarterberth and a group 24 starter battery under the nav station, there's a hot water heater in the port cockpit locker a mermaid air conditioner in the starboard forward hanging locker. I haven't done the math but I assume the golf cart batteries put a bit more non standard weight on the port side but not enough to account for a noticeable port list. I would move the golf carts to the starboard side if I could find room but will probably just get rid of them and upgrade the remaining batteries to AGM. Short of mounting lead ballast on the starboard side not sure what else I can do - I'll be interested to hear what others have to say...

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Could your mast not be centered? Perpendicular?
Good thought but it was like that with the mast down too. I did remove my hot water heater, which was on the port side, but more on center, and I wouldn't think that would make that much difference.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
OK, this is just an off the wall thought but, are the boot stripes or the bottom paint top edge not at the same level on each side giving the illusion of listing? Like I said, just musing here.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Catalina 30's just tend to list to port. This is fairly well known (back when I owned one and was frequenting the C30 list for a number of years). It's not a bug but a feature! :)

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
Just to help you sort it out, you could lay a level across the cockpit lazerettes to quantify the list.
Then move yourself and crew around, port and starboard, to see how weight distribution affects it, and what it would take to fix it.
You may be chasing a ghost though, because fuel, water, and waste tanks will always be changing during use. Water weighs about 9 pounds per gallon.

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Thank you all for your replies. I posted the same question on the Facebook Catalina 30 Owners page and it was unanimous... that's just the way they are are. It doesn't noticeably effect performance and the boat isn't sinking, so I won't worry about it. Thank you!

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Thank you all for your replies. I posted the same question on the Facebook Catalina 30 Owners page and it was unanimous... that's just the way they are are. It doesn't noticeably effect performance and the boat isn't sinking, so I won't worry about it. Thank you!
Just cock your head slightly to port and you won't even notice it. :D

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Just like Russian sub drivers always do 'crazy Ivans". Don't ask me why I thought of Red October.