Linking to Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hi All,

If you hot link to photos in your posts that do not belong to you please use proper internet etiquette when doing so.

Vendors: If you have linked to a photo by a vendor, to support a post, PLEASE also add a link to the product or vendor above or below the photo:

Photo Courtesy SailboatOwners.com (LINK)

Individuals: First make an attempt to ask the owner if they mind you hot linking to their photo. If you can not reach them at least link to their site and give them credit for taking the photo. If they ask you to remove it please oblige the owner of the photo!

Photo courtesy of Maine Sail (LINK)

Those of us who use this feature have all been guilty of this, me included, but we must try to do a better job crediting owners of photos. Linking to pictures uses bandwidth that is not yours so please be polite about it..

Rant over!

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Marlow-Hunter 37 Deep Creek off the Magothy River off ChesBay
Maine Sail

An excellent point. It requires time and effort to develop quality images, no matter if they're digital or analogue. The owner/photographer deserve(s) credit.

Cheers from a cold Annapolis
Rich (Crowe's Nest)

Hi All,

If you hot link to photos in your posts that do not belong to you please use proper internet etiquette when doing so.

Vendors: If you have linked to a photo by a vendor, to support a post, PLEASE also add a link to the product or vendor above or below the photo:

Photo Courtesy SailboatOwners.com (LINK)

Individuals: First make an attempt to ask the owner if they mind you hot linking to their photo. If you can not reach them at least link to their site and give them credit for taking the photo. If they ask you to remove it please oblige the owner of the photo!

Photo courtesy of Maine Sail (LINK)

Those of us who use this feature have all been guilty of this, me included, but we must try to do a better job crediting owners of photos. Linking to pictures uses bandwidth that is not yours so please be polite about it..

Rant over!

Feb 6, 1998
Maine Sail

An excellent point. It requires time and effort to develop quality images, no matter if they're digital or analogue. The owner/photographer deserve(s) credit.

Cheers from a cold Annapolis
Rich (Crowe's Nest)
Rich,

In the form of a person or personal web site it is always polite to give credit. When using a commercial vendors web site, to display their photo on another site, which uses their band width, it is common courtesy to direct users viewing said image to said vendor so a sale might ensue. If you borrow their band width at lest set them up for a return on their investment! That being said always try to find an image here first, & buy from Phil, then Phil can keep this board running!!

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Re: Linking to Photos ! (Please Read)

I understand the concept of the thread and I agree with the request, but a lot of us probably don't know how to add the 'credit' line to a picture we found on the internet.
Could you provide a primer?
Thanks

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL

Adding a "credit" line is no more difficult that adding any text line. Just tell us, the reader, that the photo belongs to so-n-so or to a company that produces that product. A photo that is from you personal collect is usually followed by... "I took this photo on..." and therefore giving yourself credit.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish

Maine Sail
What camera did you use to take the excellent quality photo of the engine shaft/stuffing box? The lighting, detail, focus are very very good.

Feb 6, 1998
Maine Sail
What camera did you use to take the excellent quality photo of the engine shaft/stuffing box? The lighting, detail, focus are very very good.
For that particular project it was a Nikon D-70s body with a Nikor 50mm 1.8 lens and a Nikon SB-600 speed light/flash. I use Picasa (free download from Google) to adjust lighting and such for all my web photos.

These days I use either my wife's little D-40 with the SB-600 flash or my D-200 with the SB-600 flash..

The D-40 with the 18-55 lens and an SB-600 is an amazing little combo!! A good flash, like the SB-600 or SB-800 is a must. The pop up flashes are a waste of the materials they were built with..;)

Status
Not open for further replies.