lines

Suri

Jul 2, 2021
O'Day 302 Chicago
Can someone please explain what the XLS, or TRO means when describing the
Lines.jpg
type of lines? I have attached a picture of what I am asking. Thank you in advance.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Brands should be considered a suggestion.

It is wise to understand your needs and then compare similar product lines and prices. Making your decision based on the type of sailing you are planning to do.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
XLS is a Samson cordage used for halyards. It is low stretch and has a shinier finish. TRO is short for Trophy Braid, which is also a Samson product used for sheets. It has a fuzzier or rougher feel, which aids in a better grip in your hands for trimming sails and wrapping around winches. XLS can be used for sheets too, but not so Trophy for halyards. Samson is a great product, BTW.

Suri

Jul 2, 2021
O'Day 302 Chicago
Thank you so much. This is the answer I was hoping to get to expand my knowledge. Thank you again.

Feb 5, 2015
O'Day 302 Ottawa
... And double or triple check the O’Day manual length specifications against your own real life equipment and set up - measure what you have in place currently and add or subtract length for your replacement line to suit your comfort and sailing style. I used the manual specified lengths to replace some lines and they were significantly off - either too long or too short. And my 302 hasn’t been significantly modified from original equipment.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
XLS is a Samson cordage used for halyards. It is low stretch and has a shinier finish. TRO is short for Trophy Braid, which is also a Samson product used for sheets. It has a fuzzier or rougher feel, which aids in a better grip in your hands for trimming sails and wrapping around winches. XLS can be used for sheets too, but not so Trophy for halyards. Samson is a great product, BTW.
Barnacle Bill’s answer is spot on. You don’t need to use Sampson XLS or Trophy, but a decent low stretch halyard of the correct length and diameter are important. And the rigging chart helps you figure out what you need.

I have purchased lines right here from SBO, and from Cajun Ropes. But there are many places to purchase quality lines. It pays to shop around when you know what you want.

You can save a few $$ on halyards if you learn to splice your own on, or use a halyard knot. I just replaced my spinnaker halyard, and had to cut off the eye splice and shackle (don’t ask me why)…. So, instead, I just used a halyard knot to secure the shackle. Works great. and I will be able to swap the ends around at some point in the future (the part in the mast stays pretty pristine while the parts outside the mast get pretty crusty, worn and ugly).

Hope you are getting out this weekend! Nice weather inChicago this weekend for sailing! headed out this afternoon with friends for a little sail and a swim.

Greg