Lines Aft on an old Precision 18

Jul 6, 2022
Precision 18 Lake Wisconsin
I just bought P-18 hull #33. It's in pretty good shape but I usually solo and want to bring the halyards back to the cockpit for convenience and safety. If you modified an older Precision 18 to do this, please post a description of the modification. Pictures would help a lot. Thanks !

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just a thought...
While running the sheets and lines to the cockpit feels like it is safer, I conjector that is a false sense.

It is natural in sailing a boat that things will jam up. It wil happen as the least opportune time and when you are the least prepared. The only solution wil be to leave the cockpit and fix the problem before it gets worse.

If you have not taught your self to move about the boat safely in good weather how do you think it will feel when the waves are high as the wind. That is not the time to be mucking about for the first time.

I solo sail and I move about the boat in all weather consitions. I do it with a conservitive mind set. I wear my PFD and I use a tether with jacklines. I have been to the bow to resolve a twisted back winded genoa in 25 knots of wind with gusts and 6ft waves. I follow the sailors code. One hand for the ship and one for me. It is not pretty or pleasant. I crawl on my hands andf knees if I must. But I get the job done. I would encourage you consider that you can tame your Percision 18. Just get her out and practice. Do it in light winds and work your way up to more challenging weather. It will empower you as a sailor.

Fair winds. Have a great summer.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If you feel safer with the halyards led aft, by all means, make the change.

A cheek block at the base of the mast, or a "halyard" block on deck near the mast base, will work. Then lead the halyard to a cleat near your winch if you have one... other wise, since it's only 18 ft, just install a simple cleat that's convenient to the tiller. easy peasy.