line drive wisker-pole

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ss

I've asked this questions a while back and got zero responses, I'll give it another try. I have an old 13' spin. pole that I dont have any need for, I do have a need for a wisker pole. I'm interested in converting this spin. pole into a line drive wisker pole, has anyone ever done this before?? New ones are way too much $$$$. Any information on this appreciated. I'd also like to hear pro's and con's about a line drive pole, I've had a telescoping pole before (she died a horrible death) but I've heard that a line drive is the only way to go.

N

Nate Shawl

Pole Conversion

I have the same situation. A perfectly good spinnaker pole that's too short for a wisker pole. I like the line drive idea, but how do you push on a rope? Does anyone know where to get a good deal on aluminum tubing or a conversion kit? I haven't tried E-Bay, but I bet used wisker poles are hard to find.

J

John Allison

You got to be kidding

Been trying to find a good deal on a used Whisker Pole for the past several years. No luck. I have the same problem, ie Spinnaker Pole to short for satisfactory Whisker Pole. Since most of my sailing is single handed and occassionally with one other person, I only have use for my Cruising Spinnaker (Genaker, or whatever you want to call it). Probably the cheapest way to go is to convert my now useless Spinnaker Pole to a useful Whisker Pole by changing the entire tube or splitting the tube and adding a spacer to increase overall length. Problem with that is both in appearance and storage but it will work and it will be a more useful item.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Improvised whiskper pole.

You guys will think this is nuts but on our 1973 Hunter 25 we used a 6-ft, plastic Garelick BOATHOOK as a whisker pole-- just poked the hook into the cringle and planted the sticky red rubber handle against the side of the mast. LOL Worked fine... so long as you kept the sheet taut enough! JC

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Buy it? We'll make it!

Why not make one? Before aluminium was de rigeuer these extra spars and so forth were simply wood. I know you guys will complain about looks but really even a planed-down 2x3 or a piece of 1-1/2-inch bamboo will do it. You can even hand-make the fittings out of brass and so long as you are just knocking about it will provide decent practice and fun anyway. Play around with readily-available materials and maybe save yourself the $300 or whatever they are now. Remember too that racing rules may often proscribe whisker poles longer than the J. By the way Warren actually paid my father, my brother and I to go out and buy, borrow, make, use, test, and even break hardware on his Cherubini 44 cutter. The boat was essentially a test-bed for new ideas and we got to entertain ourselves by abusing rather expensive equipment sometimes (enough to make most of you cry). If we needed something NOW we made it and then learned from it. –it is a family tradition (and joke) to say, 'BUY it? We'll MAKE it!' I would not have ANY qualms about planing down and painting a fir 2x3 to use as a 10- or 12-ft whisker pole, at least temporarily. In fact that 44 had a workshop in the foc's'l and we kept raw aluminium tubing, stainless-steel hardware, and excess lumber aboard just for stuff like this. JC

Status
Not open for further replies.