Limits of a Flicka 20

Mar 25, 2021
Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20 119 Marina del Rey
Hello!

I was wondering what the "weather limits" are for a Flicka 20 (example: 30 knots of wind, 4 foot breaking waves). Also, if you have any tips on making storms/heavier weather more comfortable and safer, please let me know!

Thanks,
Elliot

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
that boat can cross oceans. match you sail square footage to the force of the wind. keep the vessel buttoned up/ keep 100% of the water out, hang on. :cool:
heavy weather handling? lots of books and/or videos on that

Mar 25, 2021
that boat can cross oceans. match you sail square footage to the force of the wind. keep the vessel buttoned up/ keep 100% of the water out, hang on. :cool:
heavy weather handling? lots of books and/or videos on that
Thanks! I think my boat will probably be fine, it is up to the skipper (me) to make sure we don't go broadside to a crashing wave. Can a non-breaking wave capsize the boat?

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello SailorElliot,

If you have not already done this.....check the pedigree of the Flicka 20 on sailboat data. Many different constructions and options according to the site. For any sailboat we owned I felt sure it could sail better (and therefore handle more difficult situations) than I could handle. My $ 0.02.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The Flicka 20 is a boat worthy of a good sailor.
Here is a write up of the boat’s pedigree.

I met a woman of senior years who was minding a boat for the summer back in 2016. She was in a slip 6 down from my boat in Everett Marina. She told me stories of she and her husband leaving LA on a Flicka 20. Sailing west across the Pacific to the islands south of the equator and beyond.

She spoke about her Flicka with great reverence and admiration.

If you care to, a Flicka 20 prepared for the adventure will carry you as far as you are capable. Upon reaching port and again the salt shaken from her rigging be ready to go again.

Mar 25, 2021
Thank you! I was also wondering, what are the chances of the weather really picking up?

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Chances that the weather will really pick up are 100%. You just don't want to be there then. The Flicka is not fast enough to outrun every weather system, so it is a good idea to be prepared.

Oct 22, 2014
what are the chances of the weather really picking up?
Are you wondering,
  • What are the chances that if sailing in the open ocean during Hurricane Season of you running into a Hurricane? If you sail in the area that hurricanes form, better chance of experience than if you avoid such areas.
  • If you sail in the North Atlantic during the winter months, then you are likely to experience "Weather really Picking Up"!
The answer is when and where you choose to sail you will experience weather like sailors have for eons. In some areas it will be nasty, really nasty. In others boring, real boring. You need to become weather savvy and manage your sailing accordingly. Have a plan for those days when girls wear bikinis and days when you are watching for icebergs.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I think he’s referring to the weather of the San Pedro Channel, perhaps the Inner Waters generally. The basic answer is that “weather” can develop between forecast up-dates and lead to advisories; thus perhaps “picking up”during your transit interval, etc. The most common advisories off southern California are Small Craft Advisories and Gale Warnings. During the winter Santa Ana conditions can develop quickly, often leading to gale force winds from the northeast. The warning time on those may be only a few hours.

Mar 25, 2021
Here are the forecasts for my trip: 5 to 8 knots of wind, up to 10-knot gusts. Waves 2-3 in Santa Monica Bay with 5-8 second period. Waves 3 and 3 in the middle of the passage with, again, 5-8 second period.

Will that work?

Oct 22, 2014
Have you been out in those conditions?
Is the boat sound, the rigging reliable, motor in good operating condition?
Are you fully prepared for this journey? Do you have the charts, the safety equipment, the knowledge how to sail the boat, how to navigate from your start point to your destination?

If you can truthfully answer yes to all of the above then it sounds like you are ready to go out and test the waters. Recognize, that no one is ready having never been there before. Once you leave the safety of your experience you need to constantly consider the evolving conditions. Always consider returning to your safety zone if conditions exceed your level of comfort.

Only you can really decide if it will work.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Here are the forecasts for my trip: 5 to 8 knots of wind, up to 10-knot gusts. Waves 2-3 in Santa Monica Bay with 5-8 second period. Waves 3 and 3 in the middle of the passage with, again, 5-8 second period.

Will that work?
Those should be “fairly benign” conditions. Likely a little slow-going for your heavy sloop, but comfortable. I’d prepare for a long (hours) trip. It’s a bit like one’s first dive off the high dive. Once you’ve done it once or twice it’s not as “scary.”

Mar 25, 2021
Have you been out in those conditions?
Is the boat sound, the rigging reliable, motor in good operating condition?
Are you fully prepared for this journey? Do you have the charts, the safety equipment, the knowledge how to sail the boat, how to navigate from your start point to your destination?

If you can truthfully answer yes to all of the above then it sounds like you are ready to go out and test the waters. Recognize, that no one is ready having never been there before. Once you leave the safety of your experience you need to constantly consider the evolving conditions. Always consider returning to your safety zone if conditions exceed your level of comfort.

Only you can really decide if it will work.
All very true. I've been out in up to 15 knots of wind with only 2-3 foot waves, and because of this I am a bit worried. All of the other questions are 100% yes.

Mar 25, 2021

he had never sailed. left his life as a doctor. bought a boat. put it in the water. knew nothing. sailed to tahiti and back.

fun read!
Sounds good, I'll read it! But in the description it says this:

...who has never sailed before, to buy a 37-foot sailboat. He recruits a more experienced sailor-another brokenhearted guy-and together they set sail for Tahiti, hoping to burn away their miseries in hard miles at sea...

Mar 25, 2021
Those should be “fairly benign” conditions. Likely a little slow-going for your heavy sloop, but comfortable. I’d prepare for a long (hours) trip. It’s a bit like one’s first dive off the high dive. Once you’ve done it once or twice it’s not as “scary.”
Thank you for the information. I'm way more worried about the waves (comfort-wise, not in the boat itself) so I'm glad to hear it is fine conditions.

Oct 22, 2014
So if I was comfortable, I would go til that changed.

That is the way I sail my boat. 2019, I left my marina to meet up with friends. I had to sail about 40nm to meet them in a bay for a couple of days. About 20 miles into my journey I got a call. They were in 40 knots of wind, the waves were 6 feet and they had decided not to go any further.

At the same time I got a Small Craft warning for the next 24-48 hours. Winds in excess of 40 knots. Waves 6-8 ft. I had 2 choices. Find a safe harbor and hope that the weather might improve in 24 hours, or turn around and head back to my marina, spend the night there and see what happens. I chose my marina.

Weather went from bad to worse. Winds were clocked at 53knots over night. In the morning driving rain and winds 30 knots SCW for then next 48 hours.

I hated not getting to join up with friends, but was pleased to be safely in the marina able to sail another day.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan

Will that work?

Yes. Have a good trip.