Limber Hole Too High Up

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
Today I cleaned out the raw water strainer and replaced the impeller (last changed in 2018, we bought her a month ago). As expected, a fair amount of water ended up in the bilge section immediately forward of the engine where the raw water through hull is located. After I had finished up, I was surprised to see how much water remained in that bilge section and then I noticed that the limber hole on the forward wall of that bilge section is a good half inch off the bottom.

I ended up sucking up all the water that I could with a wet/dry vac (probably a quart or more) and left it open to air dry. However, I'm wondering if it would make sense to use a rotary burr or similar abrasive tool to take the bottom of the limber hole down to the floor of that bilge section. Is this a good idea or not?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
manufacturers typically don’t try to ‘level’ limber holes. The reasoning I’ve heard is to not abrade or remove whatever gelcoat protects the FRP which may subject the hull to moisture intrusion.

Doing what you plan is the first thing I’ve done to every new boat we’ve ever purchased. Just be careful.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The current set up allows you to catch all the water in a single place. If it is easy to access than I would not open the hole. Opening the hole will just spread it elsewhere.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Today I cleaned out the raw water strainer and replaced the impeller (last changed in 2018, we bought her a month ago). As expected, a fair amount of water ended up in the bilge section immediately forward of the engine where the raw water through hull is located. After I had finished up, I was surprised to see how much water remained in that bilge section and then I noticed that the limber hole on the forward wall of that bilge section is a good half inch off the bottom.

I ended up sucking up all the water that I could with a wet/dry vac (probably a quart or more) and left it open to air dry. However, I'm wondering if it would make sense to use a rotary burr or similar abrasive tool to take the bottom of the limber hole down to the floor of that bilge section. Is this a good idea or not?
dk I have the same issue but putting a drill to that part of the boat did not seem wish to me. I have a small tupperware bowl that I put under the strainer bowl that catches the water that leaks out when I remove it. It works good for us and way better than trying to vac it out. IMHO!