Light Over Table Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 MKII 1097 Grove, OK
Power to light over my dining table is intermittent. Anyone know where the wires exit the ceiling? I'm guessing the junction is flakey.

Thanks,

Jim

Feb 7, 2010
Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
Listen, I'm no expert. I removed the 2 cabin lights in the main salon, the 2 in the V-berth, the 1 in the head and the 1 in the pilot berth.

The wires for the 2 in the salon run up into the upper deck where I couldn't get access to them without a major destruct job... Also, those lights had water leaking into them (I found that issue and fixed them)

I created 4 or 5 wooden pads about 5" in diameter out of 3/4" poplar. I drilled a hole through the center and then routed a groove from the center out large enough to allow 12/2 wire to run through it. You can see the pad under the brass light in the picture. The lights are LED white with brass housing.

The one in the picture below had 2 grooves routed in it to allow a wire from the main salon to run to the light over the galley which then ran under and through the access area under the cockpit to my DC panel over the nav table.

For the wire runs I just ripped the poplar into 2 strips, one was 3/16 x 3/4 which is attached to the ceiling and the other was 1/2 x 3/4 which I routed to allow the 12/2 wire to run through it. I stained it all and threw a few coats of gloss on it.

The picture below that is for the light over the salon table. The runs go past the grab rails and then run aft parallel to the rails...

Feb 7, 2010
Thanks. Couldn't ask for more input. I'm replacing the same lights as you with round brass ones and figured I'd have to run a feed similar to what you have done to the one that's dead. Looks very good!

I had wondered if I could locate the wire bundle under the teak trim against the top of the hull on the Port side. Could you locate it at all? The drawing you provided shows it.

Great job on the teak finish. What varnish do you use?

Jim

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
Jim;

I believe the teak trim you are talking about covers the seam where the topside joins the hull. It also provides access to the toe rail(?) or what ever it is called. You can see in the picture to the right that that trim is off because I'm going to have to reseat that rail this spring...ugh.

The only access I could get to was behind the galley (the right picture again behind the VHF radio and AM/FM stereo) You can see the black hose in the opening there? The harness came out of the fiber glass there, I just cut the blue wires from the cabins lights and left them there, the others are for the nav lights and the anchor, spreader lights. Those I spliced to new 12/2 and to a panel in the cockpit.

I 5200'd little wooden strips under fiberglass trim that hides the teak trim you refer to and I fastened the wires to the new cabin lights to this. In the picture they are still down.

I really don't know if the wires are accessable in the headliner, I didn't look very hard.

As for the teak finish, it's just 6 or 7 coats of Minwax HighGloss Spar finish. It's in the green can. The key was thinning the first 3 or 4 coats in diminishing percentages to full strength and 0000 steel wool and 400 grit sand paper between each coat. I didn't use the finish on the outside wood, just the inside wood as I figure it holds up nice in a house, why not in a 'floating house'?

Good luck. I'm in the middle of lots of projects and I took lots of pictures before and after, so I would love to help. I also had lots of support and help from others. I have no special skills, just a lack of fear of trying...which is all you need.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.