LiFePO4 Update - Any Experiences to Report?

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I couldn't make it through more than five minutes or so of this, it's so self-absorbed and tedious, thanks anyway!
Haha… Sorry. I‘ll hit the key points. Lithionics 12V external BMS installation by Ocean Planet Energy. BMS was turned off for installation of ancillary equipment. BMS was then turned back on, resulting in alarms and then BMS shutdown. They were unable to restore BMS operations, possibly due to a contactor failure.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Haha… Sorry. I‘ll hit the key points. Lithionics 12V external BMS installation by Ocean Planet Energy. BMS was turned off for installation of ancillary equipment. BMS was then turned back on, resulting in alarms and then BMS shutdown. They were unable to restore BMS operations, possibly due to a contactor failure.
Thank you! Wow, that sucks about the BMS. Maybe should carry a spare?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Something is missing here. I know OPE prefers external BMS's over internal BMS's because all BMS are not alike. The old adage "you get what you pay for" seems particularly true with many of the off brand LFP batteries with an internal BMS. The criticism of these cheap LFPs has been the inability of the BMS on one battery being able to communicate with other batteries in the bank. This can lead to one BMS failure shutting down the whole system. With a single BMS for the whole system, this won't happen.

The most surprising part of the system was the inability to charge the Start/reserve battery or to easily switch the loads over to that battery. I'm curious about that. There are several ways to do that, with FETs, ACRs, and B2B chargers. I don't understand why the charging isn't happening automatically. I'll have to go back and look at some older Atticus videos, I'm sure he explains the system. He did record an interview with Nigel Calder before installing the system.

On my almost installed LFP system all charging will go to a charge bus. The Start/Reserve (AGM) will be charged by a B2B charger off the charge bus. Both the start and house batteries have separate on/off switches. Thus if all three LFP BMSs shut down, I'll still have the start/reserve battery for essential functions.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Something is missing here. I know OPE prefers external BMS's over internal BMS's because all BMS are not alike. The old adage "you get what you pay for" seems particularly true with many of the off brand LFP batteries with an internal BMS. The criticism of these cheap LFPs has been the inability of the BMS on one battery being able to communicate with other batteries in the bank. This can lead to one BMS failure shutting down the whole system. With a single BMS for the whole system, this won't happen.

The most surprising part of the system was the inability to charge the Start/reserve battery or to easily switch the loads over to that battery. I'm curious about that. There are several ways to do that, with FETs, ACRs, and B2B chargers. I don't understand why the charging isn't happening automatically. I'll have to go back and look at some older Atticus videos, I'm sure he explains the system. He did record an interview with Nigel Calder before installing the system.

On my almost installed LFP system all charging will go to a charge bus. The Start/Reserve (AGM) will be charged by a B2B charger off the charge bus. Both the start and house batteries have separate on/off switches. Thus if all three LFP BMSs shut down, I'll still have the start/reserve battery for essential functions.
In my opinion, the main benefit of the external BMS is that the input/output is routed through contactors rather than FETs. The contactors (controlled by the BMS) are rated at higher currents than the typical FET based internal BMS. But you have a single point failure in the single BMS. However, if you use multiple FET based BMS batteries in parallel, the current handling capability increases, and you can potentially reach, or exceed the capability of a single contactor. Multiple batteries with individual BMS also has some redundancy. It is true, however, that if you are operating on the edge of the combined BMS ability, that a single BMS going offline could have a cascading effect… resulting in complete power loss. But if you have a reasonable margin (ie your max expected current could be handled with one battery offline) this shouldn’t be an issue.

Regarding the inability to charge the AGM, I don’t know if the B2B should be on the charge bus. It is a load (for the LFP) so it should be on the load bus. If the LFP BMS has a LVC event and opens the load contactor, you wouldn’t want the B2B to continue to draw power from the LFP from the charge bus.

Jan 11, 2014
Regarding the inability to charge the AGM, I don’t know if the B2B should be on the charge bus. It is a load (for the LFP) so it should be on the load bus. If the LFP BMS has a LVC event and opens the load contactor, you wouldn’t want the B2B to continue to draw power from the LFP from the charge bus.
The AGM would only be used to start the engine, unless the LFP house bank was off line. If the AGM is connected to the load bank and the LFPs are offline, it can't be charged and that is exactly the time it needs to be charging because it is being used.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
The AGM would only be used to start the engine, unless the LFP house bank was off line. If the AGM is connected to the load bank and the LFPs are offline, it can't be charged and that is exactly the time it needs to be charging because it is being used.
Exactly. It seems a potential loss of the BMS (at least temporarily) was anticipated since there was a combine switch installed to allow the AGM to connect to the load bus. I find it odd that being able to charge the AGM in this configuration was overlooked. Perhaps the B2B should have been powered via the charge bus, relying on the Orions internal input voltage lockout to protect the LFP from over discharge.

Jan 11, 2014
Exactly. It seems a potential loss of the BMS (at least temporarily) was anticipated since there was a combine switch installed to allow the AGM to connect to the load bus. I find it odd that being able to charge the AGM in this configuration was overlooked. Perhaps the B2B should have been powered via the charge bus, relying on the Orions internal input voltage lockout to protect the LFP from over discharge.
Jordan was installing the switch after the failure. Which is puzzling, why didn't OPE provide for this at the beginning? Or did Jordan skip that part of the installation.

A sound installation should allow basic systems to run off of the house or start/reserve battery and allow for isolating either battery. That suggests the charge buss should connect to the house bank after the fuse and after the banks On/Off switch.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
It seems to me we're still in the technology exploration stage with LiFePO4 for boats, there isn't what one would call a "dominant design" yet. It would be nice if there was, if the partitioning of functions was stabilized, and if one could confidently deploy an all-LFP system without worrying that the alternator would get zapped.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Jordan was installing the switch after the failure. Which is puzzling, why didn't OPE provide for this at the beginning? Or did Jordan skip that part of the installation.

A sound installation should allow basic systems to run off of the house or start/reserve battery and allow for isolating either battery. That suggests the charge buss should connect to the house bank after the fuse and after the banks On/Off switch.
The switch being installed in the video was a switch to combine the load and charge busses (in order to allow charging of the AGM). There was already an existing switch to connect the AGM to the load buss.

I agree with your points regarding a sound installation. The problem with an external dual channel BMS is that any load connected to the charge bus, or any charger connected to the load bus, essentially bypasses the the HVC and LVC safety protections of the BMS.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It seems to me we're still in the technology exploration stage with LiFePO4 for boats, there isn't what one would call a "dominant design" yet. It would be nice if there was, if the partitioning of functions was stabilized, and if one could confidently deploy an all-LFP system without worrying that the alternator would get zapped.
To be fair to lithium, there isn’t one known-best reference design for lead acid banks either. Some boat builders use ACR’s, some use 1-2-B switches, some use individual on/off switches, and some use a combination of these. Lithium brings new considerations whose solutions are less mature, but either way the design of a robust electrical system takes some forethought into how the boat will be used and what set of compromises is best.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
It will be interesting to see where we end up. I think Battleborn may be heading in the right direction with self contained BMS batteries capable of communicating with each other and the rest of the system.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
To be fair to lithium, there isn’t one known-best reference design for lead acid banks either. Some boat builders use ACR’s, some use 1-2-B switches, some use individual on/off switches, and some use a combination of these. Lithium brings new considerations whose solutions are less mature, but either way the design of a robust electrical system takes some forethought into how the boat will be used and what set of compromises is best.
Excellent points. I guess I thought everyone had settled on one way with FLA, but now that I think of it, it's not the case. I wonder what the mega-yacht guys are doing?

Jan 11, 2014
Excellent points. I guess I thought everyone had settled on one way with FLA, but now that I think of it, it's not the case. I wonder what the mega-yacht guys are doing?
They run big generators all the time.

• Ha
Jan 11, 2014
Yes, but they still have batteries and some 12V stuff, don't they?
The batteries are likely very small relative to the size of the boat and just large enough to start the diesel and run emergency lighting. The vast majority of the 12 volt stuff would be on the bridge, easy to put a battery there with a charger.

Bear in mind, I have no experience with super yachts other than seeing them pass by. However, given the efficiencies of higher voltage and AC or DC in a large system, it just doesn't make sense to put a lot of 12 v stuff on the boat.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
The batteries are likely very small relative to the size of the boat and just large enough to start the diesel and run emergency lighting. The vast majority of the 12 volt stuff would be on the bridge, easy to put a battery there with a charger.

Bear in mind, I have no experience with super yachts other than seeing them pass by. However, given the efficiencies of higher voltage and AC or DC in a large system, it just doesn't make sense to put a lot of 12 v stuff on the boat.
Interesting topic. I just read something from Victron where some designs use batteries for night, and are sized for 24 hours of such use. But I'm sure most just run one or more generators all the time.