LiFePo4 Refresh

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Yikes! I have an Ample Alternator rated 125A. I have run it continuously (mistakenly) with a 100A limit charging FLA banks, but of course that's not really continuous since the stupid smart regulator doesn't maintain constant current during bulk, for some reason - it tapers off as you approach the acceptance voltage set point.

In fairness, it is strongly dependent on the airflow and ambient operating temperature. Ample published a chart in their manual [1] de-rating these depending on RPM and ambient operating temperature.

The best thing is to have a regulator like the Balmar ARS-5 that has an alternator temperature sense port and will back off the output as things heat up.

[1] Ample Alternators
Their claims of “continuous output for as long as it takes” were bold faced lies.. they only got away with that until AGM batteries hit the market.. I know this because after the owner of Ample passed away we began building the alternators using the same stator & rotor winder. We made huge improvements to these alts and got them to run significantly cooler but we would never ever lie to our customers and suggest they were continuous duty..For LFP an MC-618 or Wakespeed WS500 are the answer..

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
It is not the regulator that is tapering off the current. That is caused by the batteries internal (infernal?) resistance increasing as the battery fills.
I understand that the absorption changes as the batteries fill, but until you hit the absorption voltage set point, the "smart" regulator is supposed to maintain constant current.
It will run at CC at lower voltage but as the voltage gets near the bult setpoint, it will change to CV and decrease the output to prevent overshooting the voltage.
Yes, what I'm saying is that mine isn't doing that.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Interesting. What is your set absorption voltage and how much reduction are you seeing at different voltages? Are you charging LA or LFP?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
@Maine Sail Do you have any suggestions as to the max current that I should set my Ample 105 which is being driven by a Universial M25XP and the silly 3/8" v-belts? I think I remember seeing something about those belts only being able to go to about 60A but cannot remember for sure.
In the past with my Lifeline 4D I would see 75A and not get too much dust.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Interesting. What is your set absorption voltage and how much reduction are you seeing at different voltages? Are you charging LA or LFP?
Charging FLA, absorption voltage set to 14.8V per manufacturer's recommendation; I see the bulk charging current drop off from an initial set point to less than 1/2 that as it approaches the acceptance voltage.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I think I remember seeing something about those belts only being able to go to about 60A but cannot remember for sure.
Different engine (3YM30), different alternator (Balmar 100A/MC-614) but same “silly” 3/8” belt (A37.5). I have my belt manager set to 3 which reduces the field current by 15%. I believe this is a direct correlation to reduced output of 15%, so a maximum alternator output of 85A. I have very, very little belt dust and close to 1,200 hours on the original belt. The maximum temp on the alternator is below 90° C.

Feb 6, 1998
I understand that the absorption changes as the batteries fill, but until you hit the absorption voltage set point, the "smart" regulator is supposed to maintain constant current.

One of the many issues with that particular regulator..

Feb 6, 1998
Different engine (3YM30), different alternator (Balmar 100A/MC-614) but same “silly” 3/8” belt (A37.5). I have my belt manager set to 3 which reduces the field current by 15%. I believe this is a direct correlation to reduced output of 15%, so a maximum alternator output of 85A. I have very, very little belt dust and close to 1,200 hours on the original belt. The maximum temp on the alternator is below 90° C.
You actually have a 13mm or 1/2" belt..

Belt load manager does not work like that..
https://marinehowto.com/programming-a-balmar-voltage-regulator/

• Helpful
Feb 6, 1998
@Maine Sail Do you have any suggestions as to the max current that I should set my Ample 105 which is being driven by a Universial M25XP and the silly 3/8" v-belts? I think I remember seeing something about those belts only being able to go to about 60A but cannot remember for sure.
In the past with my Lifeline 4D I would see 75A and not get too much dust.
Belt load manager level 9 and alt temp not to exceed 200F..