LiFePO 4 Batteries for emergency

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I have been reading about LiFePO 4 (lithium iron phosphate) batteries being used in Amateur Radio Field Operations. These batteries seem to be very high capacity and can even start a car. One battery pack in particular is the Zippy 8400mAh pack that has been reported to maintain 5 hours of casual SSB operations at 100W. Again, these are just reports.

I have found on eBay some LiFePO4 batteries that can be used to make a battery pack. Most of these batteries are in the 2xxx to 3xxx mAh variety. There are also several pre-made packs that one can get.

I am wondering if such a pack could/should be aboard a boat for emergency use. I do not know the shelf life of these batteries. Their chemistry seem to be somewhat safe unlike some other Lithium type batteries.

Anyone use these? I am thinking of getting the Zippy 8400mAh pack. About $75. One can get a small wet cell for that price. But I think weigh would be a deterrent here.

Thoughts?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-8400mah-4s2p-30c-lifepo4-pack-xt90.html

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Our community CERT has a bunch of these for powering VHF stuff but I’m not clear to what purpose you consider them useful on a boat. For radios? To replace an dedicated engine start battery?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
First for radios in the unlikely event the main batteries die for some reason. At least one will have power available to run the comms. But if the pack is manly enough to start an engine, it could be used for that also.

More of a "what if-ism" question. I would still like to get one for the house ham shack. Keep me off the mains.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
First for radios in the unlikely event the main batteries die for some reason. At least one will have power available to run the comms. But if the pack is manly enough to start an engine, it could be used for that also.

More of a "what if-ism" question. I would still like to get one for the house ham shack. Keep me off the mains.
got it! My understanding is the reason the CERT has them is they are "idiot=proof" in that they hold a charge better/longer necessitating less maintenance. Regardless, they seem to be popular among the emcom folks.

No clue about surge rating.