Lifelines on the bow pulpit or deck?

Aug 11, 2022
catalina capri Columbia River, PDX, Oregon
Hello,
I recently bought a Capri 22 tall rig, full keel and noticed some boats have the lifelines connected to the base of the bow pulpit and some are connected in-line with the bow pulpit. Mine is in-line, and I notice the jib sail folds over the lifelines. I assume that’s why some folks rig the lifelines down to the deck. But I don’t see how to do that and I rather like having something to hold onto when I’m up there. Because I don’t have a roller for a head sail and have to go forward to launch and drop the jib. How much of an advantage is it in terms of sail shape to have the lifelines connect at the base of the bow pulpit?

I have a million little questions like this, I’m hoping there are some experienced folks to answer my litany of question.
best
johnny on Verboten in Portland, Oregon

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
......How much of an advantage is it in terms of sail shape to have the lifelines connect at the base of the bow pulpit?.......
Congrats on your new sailboat!!

No advantage......big disadvantage is it increases falling overboard safety risk. All my sailboats have/had the lifelines attached to the bow pulpit.

Nov 11, 2022
Catalina 22 El Dorado Lake
Frankly, for small-lake sailing with donned lifejackets, I find the short lifelines on a Catalina 22 or Capri 22 to be a safety hazard; always afraid of teetering over them and usually have to precariously crawl over them when docking. The previous owner of my Catalina 22 removed them and I am the envy of all. I plan to buy a Capri 22 and wish someone would remove the lifelines in the night. I'm sure to be keel hauled here for this heresy.
Securing the lifelines to the base of the bow pulpit on the Capri 22 has only marginally improved the jib or Genoa trimming.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Because I don’t have a roller for a head sail and have to go forward to launch and drop the jib. How much of an advantage is it in terms of sail shape to have the lifelines connect at the base of the bow pulpit?
Having the lines attached to the pulpit might help “contain” the sail some and keep it on deck when dropping it in high wind especially if you wish to remove it from the stay.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Lifelines to the deck allow the jib to sheet cleanly on more points of sail, esp if the sail is low-clewed. Close hauled the jib ought to be inside the lifelines, though often one has to 'skirt' the sail over the line before final trimming. The location of your jib tracks (inboard/outboard) is another factor.
When reaching I don't think the distortion of the foot by the lifelines is a serious issue unless you're racing...