Life Ring Mounting Ideas

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Being the romantic fool that I am, I bought the Admiral a new life ring for the boat for Christmas.

I know, I know . . . half you guys reading are embarrassed because you opted for a silk scarf, a diamond necklace or a Lexas. Fools, all! Well, now that I've wooed her sufficiently, I need to mount it appropriately so it's quick to attach and easy to deploy. I plan on using a Velcro strap on the inside of our unused kicker rail mount and include about 75' of thin floating line. Unless the mother-in-law is aboard, it'll be leaded line! (Kidding, I love my mother-in-law to tears) Anybody have any other good ideas? Pics would be nice too.

And next Christmas, I won't cry "foul!" if somebody uses my idea.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The traditional life ring is designed to be thrown unattached to the boat. If you DO attach a line to it, it should be poly so it floats. But poly rots in the sun, so you have to keep that stored in a sun-protected place to keep UV off it. It starts to get complicated, and ugly.

If you want that capability, look into a liftsling.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I think it important to have one throwable available that is not attached to the boat when deployed. If the MOB misses the horseshoe that would mean he has nothing to hang onto until the boat can make another pass. I think it is easier for the MOB to swim to a stationary horseshoe than to catch on that is moving. I do have a lifesling, but my first thing over would be the unattached throwable.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
I am pretty sure my unattached throw-able horseshoe life ring would knock someone out cold if it landed on their head. That thing is dense, but floats.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Just Purchased One Last Year...

I am think of getting one of these in place of my MOB pole. I also have a horseshoe type and a Lifesling.

http://marine.the-justgroup.com/man-overboard-buoy/
I got one when I got to thinking that when my wife or occasional crew figured out how to deploy the horseshoe, strobe, and pole, they would have lost sight of the MOB and the gear would be so far it would be of no use except to locate the body.

The inflatable Dan Bouy gives a fighting chance of being in the general vicinity and hand holds to stay buoyant and near for a while until they get the boat around, figure out the radio, or run over the MOB.

I always go over MOB procedures, but really, best to have a simple throwable they can remember... hopefully. MOB drills are fine but they don't happen for casual crews for casual sails IMHO.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
My horseshoe has a length of line attached so I figured that's the way its done. Shows what I know. I've looked at the commercially available mounts abd quite frakly, they look like an accident with my wife's name all over it. She skins and bleeds VERYeasily. So I' m trying to stay with soft stuff.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
After reading how difficult it would be to actually retrieve an MOB, we opted for a wetsuit and shark repellent.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It's a good idea to have aline attached to the horseshoe or ring NOT attached to the boat. Makes it easier for the MOB to get to the buoy.

When we replaced our old faded horseshoe a few years ago, we (The Admiral) got msart and we keep it down below when not in use. I don't even bother putting it out when I'm out singlehanding. Just use what Don suggested - an existing horseshoe buoy holder on the pushpit.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Velcro is poor in the sun. Knots jam in a rush.

Try a strope or soft shackle varient (can be made from materials other than Amsteel); easy to release.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
$8.80 on Amazon.

That must be one hell of an anchor!
Something about that thing just looks - dangerous.

The designs I'm more interested in are stainless 10 times that with shipping.

Maybe I could use it for my garden hose :dance:

OK the anchor - you should know our ship carries a fair load of pungent male bovine by-product. The Admiral often accuses me of PT Barnum like wild exaggeration as she wildly exaggerates pointing this out to myself and others.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Perhaps the answer is a CG approved throwable seat cushion or two. Not as good as a horseshoe, but maybe good enough if you are on an inland lake or protected bay.

Another idea is to attach it with whipping thread. Use enough that it will stay where you put it, but will break away with a good with good swift tug. I use that system on a boarding ladder that I can access if I'm in the water.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We have both the throwable horseshoe and the Lifesling. The horseshoe hangs on a holder on the starboard side of the stern rail, and the Lifesling hangs on the port side of the bimini with the bitter end of its line tied to the stern cleat with a bowline. Both hang outside the cockpit but are easily accessible.
I think it is important to secure the line for the Livesling at all times. Things happen too quickly in a real MOB situation to take the time to secure lines, etc.

Jun 18, 2013
Beneteau 41.1 Glen Cove, NY
Here's my question: if use a throwable untethered horseshoe, and a MOB pole, do I tether the MOB pole to the horseshoe even though neither is tethered to the boat? And for night sailing, if I add a water activated floating strobe, to I also tether that to the horseshoe? Toss all three overboard together?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Here's my question: if use a throwable untethered horseshoe, and a MOB pole, do I tether the MOB pole to the horseshoe even though neither is tethered to the boat? And for night sailing, if I add a water activated floating strobe, to I also tether that to the horseshoe? Toss all three overboard together?
Tether the horseshoe, MOB pole and strobe together. ( add a sea anchor too) You want to locate the MOB and the MOB wants to locate the horseshoe. If they are not attached together, you might be chasing a strobe when the MOB is possibly heading in another direction.