Li-Ion Booster Packs - Will I Ever Learn......

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hey, Rod, glad to see you online. I'm not here often, and last I knew you were "down" with medical issues.

While you don't mention what exactly happened when trying to start those engines, there's a possibility that the oil is so thick from the cold that the torque required to turn them over was just more that the battery and starter could manage. If you can manage a long enough extension cord, a sump and/or block warmer might be a good idea.
Well the Sequoia runs 0W20 full syntheticso thick oil was not the problem... The Kubota started up fine with the old school AGM jump pack. My brother was just not looking forward to carrying it the 300 yards to the barn..

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
My only experience with the new Li ion jump packs was with a borrowed one at a marina after we got back from a couple of months of cruising and my Expedition failed to start. No go. Ended up jumping it with a set of cables.

Never had issues using the old style jump 'n carry booster packs. I've even used them to jump start an old 1957 diesel Farmall 350d tractor. Wired the boat for a group 24 emergency start battery, so no issues there.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Just brainstorming here. Is it possible that with a battery severly depleated and/or with a poor cell, it could be acting as a "load" when the jump pack is hooked up, thereby taking some of the starting power available going to the battery. It seems a long time ago with I had to do a lot of "jumping" of batteries on an old car I had, when the battery was "really dead" I had to hook up the jumper cables and it wouldn't start at first, but then after I let it be hooked up for awhile and reved the engine on the running car it would start.