Lewmar winch motor thermal cutout wires

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Can you take a close up of the disk and bracket on the end of the yellow wires? Looks like a bimetallic thermostatic switch.(should have a temp rating on it) If that’s the case and it’s attached to a sheet metal bracket it likely doesnt matter much where it’s mounted inside the motor housing as long as it’s held securely and out of the way of any moving parts. The motor will likely be fairly uniformly warm when the switch trips and it should happen long before the motor is at risk. (What temp rating are on the wires? -90c,105c? Switch would likely be under that.)

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
@twalker H260 has it. Insulated part may be a bimetal switch.

Not being there makes this a little more difficult.

Step #1 - check the continuity at the end of the yellow wires and let us know if it's open or closed.

Step #2 - if it's closed, hit it with a heat gun (90-105) and see if it opens. Let us know.

Step3# - if step #2 opens it, follow @twalker H260 's instructions to the letter.

Bryno

Mar 26, 2020
Hunter 450 Dallas
Wanted to wrap up this thread with some definitive news. The Thermal Cutoff in question above is this in layman’s terms: thermal switch which opens when reaching a certain temperature, thus ‘cutting the continuity of a single line of wire. This wire has two ends whic complete the circuit of the motor switch - on/off. The Thermal Cutoff Switch itself, which was the item in the OP, must be attached to something, usually within the motor, to sense the buildup of heat.

min the case if this particular Lewmar Motor for my winch, the Thermal Switch is attached to the screw for the brush.

In summation for this post, the Thermal Cutoff for the Lewmar Motor runs from the motor’s brush electric attachment point , through the cutout in the cover and the will connect inline to the external activation switch.

wish I had a picture, but didn’t get one before I closed it up.